Aaton A-minma film spool

DamianKa

you can not use 100' rolls, as the a minima requires film with the emulsion spooled out. Since kodak doesnt make these from the factory anymore, you need to have your lab re-spool the film onto the special 200' daylight spools (which you will need to acquire and re-use). Fotokem will re-spool for you at a pretty reasonable rate, but it does work out to making film more expensive.

• Site Sponsor

The A-Minima spools are weirdo items, and they have a standard 400ft 16mm core so I am not sure if they will take a daylight spool or if the A-Minima center comes off like a XTR or LTR does to accommodate the 100ft daylight spool.

A-Minima spools are getting rare these days and it seems like a job for a 3D printer to make more of them.

The A-Minima spools are weirdo items, and they have a standard 400ft 16mm core so I am not sure if they will take a daylight spool or if the A-Minima center comes off like a XTR or LTR does to accommodate the 100ft daylight spool.

A-Minima spools are getting rare these days and it seems like a job for a 3D printer to make more of them.

By the looks of the manuals it doesn't come off so you're locked in (haha) to the 200ft. specials. Unless you could actually dispense with the flanges, and daylight loading, and just use cores. Probably not if the mag relies on the flange for guidance.

• Premium Member

My suggestion would be to buy 400' loads and have a reliable lab spool them down to 200' A-Minima loads. Bigger labs probably have a stash of the A-minima reels and know the winding requirements; just call around. It does add an extra step to be able to use the camera and takes planning but it is an excellent (and expensive) camera.