Operating

Jon O'Brien

On professional, big productions, fully financed and all that, what sort of money does the camera operator make compared to the DP? Or is that like asking how long is a piece of string? But there must be some general pay grade I suppose.

The 2017 BECTU recommended rate for a camera operator for a 55 hour week is £3300 on a £30m+ feature, The DP rate is individually negotiated, it depends who you are..

I remember there being a substantial difference between BECTU rates and what the BBC (or anyone else) actually paid. Has that changed?

• Premium Member

I suspect any such comparison would be made pretty difficulty by the overwhelming variability in DP rates. I wouldn't be surprised if people who were stepping up and taking a big opportunity had on extremely rare occasion been paid less than some of their crew, even on big movies.

P

I remember there being a substantial difference between BECTU rates and what the BBC (or anyone else) actually paid. Has that changed?

The rates I mentioned are for high end productions. BECTU does have rates for different budget levels for drama and TV drama, however, I suspect the actual rates on a BBC drama may vary depending on the budgets and the above the line costs, they tend to be a lot tighter on the crew rates.