Hand Held DV

J J

Hello

I'm making a short narrative film and I was wondering if there is any material out there on "How to shoot hand held DV" any books, articles, or if any one could recommend movies to watch.

I'm aware to use zoom sparingly.

ALSO, what is the most basis dolly system to use besides wagons, skateboards and wheelbarrows?

Thank you for your experience.

J J

Honestly, I don't know if books would be useful for learning handheld camera work -- unless you plan on using a stack of them to practice with! But perhaps someone else here with more experience knows better.

Some people have a rock steady hand & some don't. It's a gift. However, if like me you are a bit shaky and are always looking for a few low budget tools to do the work for you, allow me to recommend:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...&categoryId=119

I hope that link works. I bought one of these miracles for $70 a few months ago from Benny's hardware store. It's a metal gardening utility cart with terrifically soft inflatable wheels. It has a small metal lip around it which is perfect for holding the tripod legs, and it is DEAD QUIET. It can also turn. I cried out when I found it.

http://www.studio1productions.com/dvbrace.htm

I just bought one ($150) for my DVX100/Bolex/Super-8 and I couldn't be happier. I hope the people that make it don't read this forum, because I would have paid more than $150 for such an efficient little device. It's also very adjustable. Probably not good for heavy cameras, though. My one fault with it is that the handle will occasionaly loosen & start unscrewing. I may have to weld it on.

Hi

I'm Don L.

I am a master at hand held DV. Here are my secrets...

1.) Buy the book "Setting Up Your Shots"

Even though it's a book on camera shots for 35mm you can go through it and imitate the more simpler shots and use it for a DV hand held style.

2.) Watch the movie "The Celebration" and "Running Time" - "Running Time" was one continuous shot. From TV you can watch "The Shield"

Have Fun