Setting up S-Log on Sony A7lll?

Henry Cline

I am setting up my new A7lll primarily for movie mode 4K usage. I prefer to shoot in S-Log. When the camera is set to S-Log the ISO is automatically set to AUTO?

As a filmmaker who was brought up in the photo chemical world I never choose to use an AUTO ISO mode, but I am clearly missing something here? When I go to change the ISO on the camera the dialog says it is not possible in Gamma: S-Log2 mode?

Thanks,

Henry

I've only used the A7RII in sLog. If I recall, on this model the ISO minimum is 800 and can not be set lower than that. It might even have been fixed at 800, but I can't remember. It was not "auto ISO". On the A7III it might have a minimum setting of ISO 1600.

My experience was that in camera recording in sLog did not make good images, with substantial compression blocks in the darker parts of the image. Recording to ProRes on an external recorder solved this issue, even though the recording was still only 8 bits over the HDMI.

I do strongly suggest not recording in camera in sLog without proper testing first.

Hi Bruce, Henry Cline here. The thing I cannot understand is that while in s-Log the ISO in the viewfinder just says AUTO ISO cant change the ISO because an error message comes up that says unable due to Gamma S-Log configuration. So, I am just trying to understand better what exactly it is set at? Confusing for sure. I greatly appreciate your input and hope you are well.

Henry

Hi Bruce, Henry Cline here. The thing I cannot understand is that while in s-Log the ISO in the viewfinder just says AUTO ISO cant change the ISO because an error message comes up that says unable due to Gamma S-Log configuration. So, I am just trying to understand better what exactly it is set at? Confusing for sure. I greatly appreciate your input and hope you are well.

Henry

Hi Henry, all is well, thanks!

Is this issue not discussed in the user manual? Perhaps your issue is related to your choice of "picture profile"?

Yes 800 ISO for log in the A7III.. As with Sony video cameras.. Sony's idea is that its best to shoot SLOG at a fixed "native" ISO (like you would with film) thats gives the best balance over/under grey level.. according to Sony engineers.. the lowest ISO you can set is 800 in PP7 or 8.. slog2/3.. but you can set higher.. you are in Auto ISO mode if thats what you are seeing on the screen..go into the ISO setting and just scroll out of auto..

But the A7RIII and the A7III also have HLG (Hyper Log Gamma) curves..1/2/3 PP10.. designed for HDR TV,s.. some people as using them as a sort of half way house.. between standard curves and Slog.. problem with Slog in these cameras is the 8 bit recording.. in theory it mathematically can't even be done.. sort of contradictory terms.. slog2 is apparently a little better in its data distribution..

Might be worth trying HLG ..and also it seems you are in Auto ISO.. back rotary wheel right hand side click and rotate ..

Robin,

Excuse my ignorance, but I have looked thru every menu and dont see a video mode to set to manual, my exposure mode is set yo manual, but I cannot find the "video" mode you mention. Thanks very much for the advice.

Henry

apologies ..I have the camera in front ion me now.. yes sorry meant the exposure mode.. does your screen still say you are in ISO Auto mode.. ?.. your top dial is set to the little film frame Icon.. I just set my camera to PP7.. I can set 800 ISO minimum and 102,400 max.. can you get out of Auto ISO in non log PP,s..

Henry try this..

As 800 is the minimum ISO for Slog.. go into another PP.. set ISO for 800 or over.. then go back to PP7 .. are you still stuck in Auto ISO in all PP.. if exposure manual then somethings wrong there.. try all rest.. if still happens I would take it back on warranty ..