Im planning on shooting a double feature sometime soon on 16mm and I was wondering what the best film stock is for emulating the colors you see in movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Evil Dead, Etc.

Edited by Duncan Corbin

• Premium Member

I assume if you are shooting in 16mm that you'll do a digital finish, you're not going to distribute it in a 16mm print. So to some degree, contrast and saturation can be manipulated in post to create the feeling of the 16mm reversal used on those movies. But you need to light with the idea that you're going to crush your shadows down heavily. Pushing will also add some contrast and grain that might help. Finding some older 16mm lenses too. But a lot of the look of those older movies is the lighting style.

• Premium Member

Ektachrome 100D should be coming back out for 16mm soon...I would test that stock but of course David is absolutely right about the lighting style...you'll have to test quite a bit.

If you don't have a ton of experience in lighting and film use, you can even try to simulate the ASA of whatever stock you use with a digital camera (i.e. 100 ASA) with the same lenses get it to where the lighting and exposure works then replace the digital camera with film and test to see what you get. Something like the original Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with a S16 sized sensor set to flat might get you in the ballpark.