A fashionable gal in Manhattan (Candid)

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

OK, this is an ancient and well hated part of society...the Boomer. But still, she put some effort in her fashion. Her shoes were something too. (Although they don't show up too well in the fisheye.)

post-72141-0-95891000-1548010944_thumb.jpg

Very hard shooting circular fisheye on the subway. Dim light on the train and very slow lens. (f5.6 or f/8...I don't know which since it is adapted and loses light with the adapter extension. But it is a native f5.6 at best.)

This has been pushed about 1-1/2 stops. I can never shoot with a good exposure on the subway with a circular fisheye. It would have to be a tripod shot to shoot it like a normal photog would want to shoot it...lens stopped down, decent ISO, etc. This is shot at 2500 ISO which is about the most I will go for for low quality. And even then 2500 is too grainy / noisy for me. But that is just how it is, you have to balance shutter speed, aperture, ISO to get something usable.

I wanted to shoot another gal putting on her makeup....about a foot away from her face. And believe me, I can do it...candid. But I could get nowhere near her. Could not move an inch or even raise my arm above my head. Some days the subway is packed like sushi, really every day it is packed, just depends on the time. Street photography depends a lot of opportunity and luck. (Provided you have the basic skills to produce high quality work.)

Sometimes I am afraid to even take off the lens cap, for fear of someone would rub against the front element of the lens which protrudes outward beyond the lens barrel. The old film era circle fisheyes are too hard to come by to ruin. I already messed up the front element of one of them.

I shot this a couple years ago. Just found it last night as I make my way through 103,000 photos taken from 2013 to 2018 that have never been gone through. That is my New Year's goal, to go through the photos...or at least half of em. So far have gone through about 3,500 since late Dec 2018.

• Upvote 1

Here is a fashion shoot on Wall Street. Just found this last night. I shot this a couple years ago. (Candid)

post-72141-0-33401200-1548249108_thumb.jpg

Poor girl, was freezing cold. I didn't stick around long enuf to figure out if the photogs wanted the shadows in her face or was it just for her to bear the sun until they shoot. I only stick around if I want to make a project or book on a subject. And even with 180 degree view, the lens could have been wider to get the homeless man in fully as well as the tops of the buildings.

post-72141-0-96652100-1548249361_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.