Question about Bolex 5.5mm Adapter for Octameter

David T. Nethery

I've got a "Want to Buy" post over in the Cine Marketplace asking if anyone has a "Paillard Bolex Supplementary 5.5mm Adapter for H8 Octameter' for sale.

But I don't how many people visit that part of the forum very much and I have a question about the 5.5mm adapter, therefore I wanted to post it here.

I've seen several of the 10mm adapters (for the H16 Octameter) listed for sale on eBay . I messaged one of the sellers to ask if they every had any of the 5.5mm adapters for the H8 Octameter and the response I received was :

"It's the same thing, you can use it on either the H16 Octameter or the H8 Octameter" .

Does anyone know if that is true ? Because if the adapter is the same for either the H16 Octameter or the H8 Octameter, then I'll just buy one of the adapters currently listed on eBay.

he Octameter I have now on my H8 has a field of view from 6.5mm - to - 75mm , but I have a Kern Switar 5.5mm wide angle lens , so looking through the 6.5mm Octameter I'm not seeing the same field of view as the lens. I supposed the difference of 6.5mm to 5.5mm is perhaps not that much , but I'd still like to have the 5.5mm adapter if possible.

51064545_10214899891825719_2724669931948

50940453_10214899873585263_7417753500555

• Premium Member

It’s the same, the angles of view, everything goes to one end. It’s just different figures on the wheel and on that front lens frame. If you want to have precision, rely on the critical focuser. If you want to have it really exact, let a technician check the aperture size and adjustment of the critical focuser. They’re not all what they should be.

It’s the same, the angles of view, everything goes to one end. It’s just different figures on the wheel and on that front lens frame.

Oh, ok ! Thank you. That's good to know. (maybe that's why I can't find any "5.5mm Octameter adapters" listed , but I find many "10mm Octameter adapters" listed ? ) Well, then I will just buy one of the 10mm adapters and add it to my H8's Octameter when I'm using the 5.5mm Switar on the H8. I'm feeling like we're in the very last days of double-8mm and I want to get some more use out of this wonderful old H8 camera before 8mm goes away forever. Film stock is pretty much limited to Fomapan, but that's ok with me , I like B&W. I don't understand why Kodak won't supply un-perforated 16mm to people who want to perforate it for 8mm , but apparently it's not something Kodak is much interested in doing ... supposedly they will supply it with something like a minimum order of 4000 ft. , but I'm not even sure if that is true ... )

• Premium Member

Wittner in Germany is prepared for the possibility of Ektachrome in 16, he can perforate to Double-Eight and to DS-8. Hundreds of Double-Eight cameras are for sale now all over the world and almost nobody seems to buy them. Same with projectors, people find it too cumbersome to project 8mm film. It’s a pity, I agree, also with some 16mm stocks not being available perforated both sides.

Double-Eight raw stock can be had from Dennis Toeppen, Alfred Kahl, Foma Bohemia and others, the Widescreen Centre, Yale Film and Video in Burbank, John Schwind in Dixon, via ebay and others.

If you ever need help or a service to your H-8, send me a PM. Of course there is Bolex service in America.

Wittner in Germany is prepared for the possibility of Ektachrome in 16, he can perforate to Double-Eight and to DS-8. Hundreds of Double-Eight cameras are for sale now all over the world and almost nobody seems to buy them. Same with projectors, people find it too cumbersome to project 8mm film. It’s a pity, I agree, also with some 16mm stocks not being available perforated both sides.

Double-Eight raw stock can be had from Dennis Toeppen, Alfred Kahl, Foma Bohemia and others, the Widescreen Centre, Yale Film and Video in Burbank, John Schwind in Dixon, via ebay and others.

If you ever need help or a service to your H-8, send me a PM. Of course there is Bolex service in America.

Thank you. I'm familiar with Toeppen (I think his film is perf'd by Wittner) and I was attempting to order 30.5m/100' ft. rolls from Foma's webstore , but they only deliver within the EU . However, I found out that Freestyle Photo in Los Angeles will supply the 100' ft. rolls of double-8mm as a special order item. They currently have the 10m/33'ft. rolls in stock , but I would really prefer to use the 100' ft. rolls for the Bolex H8 , so I can film longer before turning the film over for the second run through the camera.