Is age a problem for you?

This is from the Wikipedia article on IMDB.com. Well age is certainly an issue for some people in this business.

On January 1, 2017, the State of California implemented state bill AB-1687, a SAG-AFTRA-backed anti-ageism statute which requires "commercial online entertainment employment services" to honor requests by their subscribers for their ages and birthdays to be hidden.[51] On February 23, 2017, Judge Vince Girdhari Chhabria issued a stay on the bill pending a further trial, claiming that it possibly violated the First Amendment because it inhibited the public consumption of factual information. He also questioned the intent of the bill, as it was ostensibly meant to target IMDb.[52]

By the beginning of 2017, IMDb had received more than 2,300 requests from individuals to remove their date of birth from the site. Included in this group were 10 Academy Award winners and another 71 nominated for Oscars, Emmys, or Golden Globes.[53]

Ageism occurs in the music biz too - in fact in the arts that is probably where it's most marked. I'd think in cinematography it would be far less of a problem. There's a widespread feeling in classical music performance for instance that you have to be really great by a young age to have a career at the highest level, but there have been exceptions to that rule. Just do what you do, if you can, and don't worry about it.

It's extraordinary that any US state needs a specific law for this. In the UK, and EU, it would be covered by data protection law as "sensitive information" for which consent would be needed. Probably age discrimination law as well.

This is from the Wikipedia article on IMDB.com. Well age is certainly an issue for some people in this business.

On January 1, 2017, the State of California implemented state bill AB-1687, a SAG-AFTRA-backed anti-ageism statute which requires "commercial online entertainment employment services" to honor requests by their subscribers for their ages and birthdays to be hidden

Edited by Mark Dunn

This is how it used to be in the UK film industry ! .. my good self on my knees.. Gramercy Park.. NY.. about 1986.. with a young Barry Ackroyd BSC .. and sound legend Mike Lax.. (yes all his bags would routinely get sent to LA !) and the trusty Aaton XT..). serving your time it was called..

post-34233-0-05855300-1548933128_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

• Premium Member

This is how it used to be in the UK film industry ! .. my good self on my knees.. Gramercy Park.. NY.. about 1986.. with a young Barry Ackroyd BSC .. and sound legend Mike Lax.. (yes all his bags would routinely get sent to LA !) and the trusty Aaton XT..). serving your time it was called..

Awesome! I love the white barney on the camera.

G

Is this back when the young guys on set dressed like they were there to actually work?

Sad to have missed those times

Considering the success my age has brought Macks, I doubt I'll be home. I'll be out on my boat, or off on a cruise. The twenty and thirty some-things by contrast will taking transit to their dead end jobs.

R,

Considering the success my age has brought Macks, I doubt I'll be home. I'll be out on my boat, or off on a cruise. The twenty and thirty some-things by contrast will taking transit to their dead end jobs.

R,

I try to motivate them to strive for more but I'm fighting against video games and social media.

• Upvote 1

I try to motivate them to strive for more but I'm fighting against video games and social media.

Good luck with that, this is not a group that is highly motivated to work. They are the entitled generation.

R,

Age becomes an issue when there are many kid eagers out there prepared to provide their brand new camera and work for monkey-tucker. Good luck to them with their energy and their ambition. In the meantime once a succession of them have worn themselves and their cameras out subsidising an exploitative industry and a production entity eventually gets burned by a reshoot, us wrinklies will have gone on the dole queue.

• Premium Member

Here's how much I care about ageism, I'll be 51 on Feb 6th. Now what happens?

R,[/quote

Happy birthday Richard! Its also my granddaughters 5th today as well!

G

Age becomes an issue when there are many kid eagers out there prepared to provide their brand new camera and work for monkey-tucker. Good luck to them with their energy and their ambition. In the meantime once a succession of them have worn themselves and their cameras out subsidising an exploitative industry and a production entity eventually gets burned by a reshoot, us wrinklies will have gone on the dole queue.

I once worked on a multi camera commercial project and during a prepro meeting, the much younger B camera operator (also providing a bunch of gear and a few cameras) actually said "I don't care about the money."

That kind of thing is very alluring to producers working in markets where acceptable quality tends to be middle of the road.