Bill DiPietra passing...

Gregg MacPherson

I just saw Phil briefly mention this in another topic. I wasn't sure if Bills passing had been noted here...

I have to say that I liked Bill. He loved shooting film and often contributed good, interesting, useful stuff on the forum. Solid, sincere, and no BS.

Travel well Bill.

Gregg.

• Premium Member

He was a very nice guy and I'm embarrassed that over a year passed since he died in November 2017 before I became aware. I met him a couple of times in New York. He seemed to really love the city, where he worked as an emergency medical technician while spinning up film productions. He recommended some great Italian food and I remember lamenting the change in Times Square since many of the promotional hoardings converted from custom neon to LED video walls, which we agreed were less characterful.

Great pity. He was only in his early 40s.

P

From an obituary at...

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/new-york/ozone-park/james-romanelli-stephen-funeral-home/william-f-dipietra/3353028/index.php

I looks like he was very ill and didn't make it through...some words copied from there..

"...You so wanted to get well, but it was not to be.......
To Bill’s doctors at NYU, especially Dr. Andrew Chi and his staff, thank you for everything you did for Bill......"

• Premium Member

Cancer at 42, that's terrible.

20 years ago, I was parking my car in the car port under my apartment building in the back alley, and a young woman walking past suddenly collapsed onto the asphalt. I helped her get up and she told me she had a degenerative disease (ALS, MS, I can't remember) and her goal every day was to walk from the door of her apartment to the bus stop on the corner, so she didn't want any help finishing her walk to the end of the alley. I watched her walk away. But I knew that her condition was only going to get worse, and she was so young. It was heartbreaking.

Of course it makes you stop and think. 10 years ago a close friend was diagnosed with cancer just out of the blue, and I was his driver to his chemo treatments. That is what spurred me to get my feature film career going. Knowing that my number could be called next. The worst phrase in the world is...."what might have been."

No matter how much money and power you have you can never make more time. Steve Jobs and Paul Allen were both billionaires, all their money could not save them from cancer.

So whatever you're going to do, just do it, no one is getting any younger and you never know when the end will come.

R,

• Premium Member

So whatever you're going to do, just do it, no one is getting any younger and you never know when the end will come.

R,

I completely second that Richand! I am so sad about this. I feel like Bill was a friend of mine via this website. It's so important to take advantage of life while we can.

G