BMCC... should I sell or keep?

Eric Gonzalez

I have a problem: I love handheld footage, not shaky cam, but just a shot that would normally be on a dolly or a tripod being held, the slight movement with shadowy hard lighting is my favorite style.

That isn't my problem, my problem is the camera I have: a Black Magic Design Cinema Camera. Now, the picture is fantastic, the RAW and ProRes are fantastic, and having to rig the hell out of it for full effect is perfectly fine with me. And I can deal with the crop factor by working with focal lengths from 18-35. My problem that I can't deal with is the rolling shutter.

When I do a whip pan or run with the camera, It becomes very apparent. I don't want to just fix it in adobe every time, and as to my knowledge there are no speedboosters that can put a different mount onto an EF mount due to sensor size issues, so my question is, what can I get or due to fix the rolling shutter? Faster lens? Wider focal length? Heavier rig? A speedbooster I'm not aware of?

And if not, what should I get to replace it, specifically with handheld in mind?

Sorry if I made any eyes roll, I'm a rookie here.

• Premium Member

There isn't really a fix for rolling shutter other than the ones you know about - you can have a go at fixing it in software, which is partially effective, or you can just avoid rattling the camera around too much. Your analysis of the original Cinema Camera is pretty much spot on: it's a fantastic camera with that one key issue. Well, and the ergonomics are a bit odd. But yes, rigging.

If it irritates you to the point you're thinking about replacing the camera, then that's what you'll have to do. The Ursa Mini has far less objectionable rolling shutter and rigs beautifully for shoulder work.

• Upvote 2

I'm a bit skeptical about ebay but Adorama camera seems to buy items and this camera is basically new andin good condition. I might just see what I can do with a slider and a tripod until I can upgrade. the Ursa looks great but I would need to wait a while, probably until next year.

What about a C100? Or an MFT mount BMCC?

• Premium Member

it's a fantastic camera with that one key issue. Well, and the ergonomics are a bit odd.

and it creates massive amounts of moire/aliasing depending on what you shoot. some people can live with it better than others, for me it was a deal breaker and the single reason I never purchased that camera model

• Upvote 1

Hey Eric,

I shoot primarily with the original C100 and I shot the following whip pan with it. It was shot at 24p with a 180° shutter.

if you pause it as it whips, you can see some distortion, though I'm surprised it wasn't worse than it was. That said, if you want to see the original clips, I'll see if I can find them and upload them. Edited by Matthias Claflin
  • Upvote 1