Project settings and frame rate not matching

Hi everyone, I was on a shoot the other day and the Alexa Mini, was set up to record 24fps, however the project settings were left at 25fps. The director is Keane tokeep the music video at 24 fps to match play back and the time code. We also shot some slow mo at 36fps that he would like to keep to sync up.

Im wondering if there was any way to get the footage back to 24fps? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the only option to edit everything as a 25fps project? I know its only a minute difference Ive just got the director asking me about this.

I'm not sure. We stayed with 25fps in the edit. Obviously your synced clips are going to slide out of sync once they play for a bit. If you have an artist that's lip syncing to the song and have many different angles of it you can make it work. I'm not sure if you can "convert" it to a different framrate though.

• 3 years later...

Dear all,

Same mistake happens to me in one of the recent narrative work I shot.

Project settings were left at 25p whereas on camera frame rate was 24 fps , shutter speed 172.8.

Have you figured any workarounds on the edit part , synching audio? 
In addition my way of approaching this mistake is to work on a 24fps timeline and convert my footage from 25fps to 24fps in order to synch.

All feedback are welcome.

Is your sound at 24fps as well? or did sound record in a different frame rate?

Given that its narrative, I would say you probably need to manually re do the whole project in the correct FPS timeline and manually re-edit to match whatever work has been done thus far. This is the only way I can really see to ensure you dont have other problems downstream. You can still print a video file in the current project as an editorial reference. You'll likely have EDL issues if you bring a 25fps EDL into a 24fps timeline but theres no harm in trying that.

Hey Robin,

Thank you for the reply and feedback on this.

My recorded sound is on 24fps , when I bring the clips on a 24fps timeline and change their fps rate to match the timelines I get synch. 

My question is regarding the export and If i will have problems with that.

Regarding the Arri alexa mini , I am still trying to figure out what is the main difference of sensor rate and project rate as my clips where saved at the "wrong" fps (25fps) and I shot them at 24fps( sensor rate).

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2022 at 2:24 AM, Petros Goritsas said:

Regarding the Arri alexa mini , I am still trying to figure out what is the main difference of sensor rate and project rate as my clips where saved at the "wrong" fps (25fps) and I shot them at 24fps( sensor rate).

Not sure I entirely understand your question but the key difference is that the project rate is the base frame rate (ie you are editing on a 24fps timeline in your nle so you want the project rate to live at 24fps to match) as opposed to your sensor setting which generally matches your project settings but can also be manipulated to shoot off speed ie for slow motion (if you’re shooting on a 24 fps timeline and your sensor is at 48 fps you are now recording 2x slow mo bc you have double the frames) this doesn’t matter if you’re not syncing to audio but as you’ve found your project timebase and the Audio time base need to match for sync hence you set your project rate at the beginning in tandem with sound. I don’t deal with post at all so no idea what the solve is here, best of luck.