Rasmus Frostell

Mattebox for car commercials?

Hi all, i'm wondering what the safest mattebox to put on a black arm / russian arm is for a car commercial where i assume the DOP will use polarizers and different filters while shooting. (And i want a clear filter in front of the lens for possible chips flying from the car we're filming.) Obviously i feel like a clamp on mattebox feels a bit risky. But wouldn't a mattebox with rods cause small vibrations near the lens while going at faster speeds?

What's your experience with this? What works, and what doesn't?

Best,

Rasmus

You'd be fine with a clamp on, just secure it to the body. Arri LMB15/25/Pro have a hole on the bottom to allow a safety chain or rope to prevent the matte box from falling away from the body in case it does fall off.

You'd be fine with a clamp on, just secure it to the body. Arri LMB15/25/Pro have a hole on the bottom to allow a safety chain or rope to prevent the matte box from falling away from the body in case it does fall off.

Great, thanks i'll go for a clamp on then.

Clip On's are fine. But you'll want something stronger than an Optical Flat. I have production have a company make me Lexan filters cut to 4x5. Once they get dust or a scratch they are garbage but way better than a rock going through the clear and into a Master Prime or Summilux-C.