Debating which ARRI to get

omar robles

Apologies for posting so many questions but I am close to deciding which camera to get and my mind changes day to day. I am torn between 3 cameras

ARRI AMIRA, ARRI ALEXA XT, ARRI ALEXA PLUS 4:3.

1) AMIRA : This camera is lighter then the others and shoots up to 4k uhd. However it doesn't have the 4:3 option and anamorphic is something that i might shoot down the line.

2) ALEXA XT: It shoots up to 3.2k and has the anamorphic option but it is really heavy.

3) ALEXA PLUS 4:3: It shoots anamorphic but the most resolution it shoots is 2.8 arri raw with a license. Although it is 10k cheaper then the other two cameras on my list.

What would you all decide?

The Amira shoots the same resolution as the XT. its not a full 4k camera, it upscales to UHD.

What is your goal with the camera? Personal? Jobs? Docu work? Do you need to one man band it alot? Figuring out what you're going to do with the camera is the best way to dictate what to buy (if buy at all)

• Premium Member

I mean it really depends on what you wanna do with them. The Amira is the most powerful of the bunch since it can also record multitrack audio, built-in filters and it setup for ENG production, which for a filmmaker like myself, works great.

For straight up cinema work, the XT is the way to go hands down. If you've got an AC crew on a film set, they will prefer the XT. If it's just you shooting, you will prefer the Amira.

Apologies for posting so many questions but I am close to deciding which camera to get and my mind changes day to day. I am torn between 3 cameras

ARRI AMIRA, ARRI ALEXA XT, ARRI ALEXA PLUS 4:3.

1) AMIRA : This camera is lighter then the others and shoots up to 4k uhd. However it doesn't have the 4:3 option and anamorphic is something that i might shoot down the line.

2) ALEXA XT: It shoots up to 3.2k and has the anamorphic option but it is really heavy.

3) ALEXA PLUS 4:3: It shoots anamorphic but the most resolution it shoots is 2.8 arri raw with a license. Although it is 10k cheaper then the other two cameras on my list.

What would you all decide?

I'd get an Alexa Mini if I were in your position. I'm trying to pool together with my partners for one.

• Premium Member

Are you planning to rent out the camera as well? If so, pony up the extra for the Mini. The demand for it would more than cover the additional cost. It's the most popular camera out there.

If not? Well then it's an open field.

In my own experience of Arri ownership for the past two years - I've shot in ARRIRAW for literally two jobs. None of the producers I work with will pony up the cash to record raw.

So I'd weigh that into the equation when deciding. How likely are you to need to raw functionality? If you don't, does the added expense of the internal raw justify its cost?

4:3 is another area to consider. Just how much anamorphic (or 4:3 spherical) work do you see yourself doing? If it's only going to be a very occasional foray, then perhaps don't worry about it, and simply rent a 4:3 camera when you need one.

Now that the Amira can be licenced up to shoot Arriraw, it's just as much a player for the highest-end (spherical) work as any of the other Arris. And the lighter weight and smaller size is wonderful - it can also go up to 200fps compared to 120fps with the other cameras.

As for the classic? There's a lot of serious TV shows shooting on classic Alexas at the moment. If you're shooting for a 2k/HD finish anyway (as most shows still are), there's a strong argument to be made for it - the cheaper camera rental cost frees up more budget for more important things like lens, lighting and grip.

They're all superb cameras, with the same image, just different strengths. I think you just need to weigh up which of those strengths is most important to you.

Are you planning to rent out the camera as well? If so, pony up the extra for the Mini. The demand for it would more than cover the additional cost. It's the most popular camera out there.

If not? Well then it's an open field.

In my own experience of Arri ownership for the past two years - I've shot in ARRIRAW for literally two jobs. None of the producers I work with will pony up the cash to record raw.

So I'd weigh that into the equation when deciding. How likely are you to need to raw functionality? If you don't, does the added expense of the internal raw justify its cost?

4:3 is another area to consider. Just how much anamorphic (or 4:3 spherical) work do you see yourself doing? If it's only going to be a very occasional foray, then perhaps don't worry about it, and simply rent a 4:3 camera when you need one.

Now that the Amira can be licenced up to shoot Arriraw, it's just as much a player for the highest-end (spherical) work as any of the other Arris. And the lighter weight and smaller size is wonderful - it can also go up to 200fps compared to 120fps with the other cameras.

As for the classic? There's a lot of serious TV shows shooting on classic Alexas at the moment. If you're shooting for a 2k/HD finish anyway (as most shows still are), there's a strong argument to be made for it - the cheaper camera rental cost frees up more budget for more important things like lens, lighting and grip.

They're all superb cameras, with the same image, just different strengths. I think you just need to weigh up which of those strengths is most important to you.

I think if you are going to go for a Mini you should pony up for the 4:3 and ARRIRAW license. I rented a Mini for my last short that didn't have either, the 4:3 being okay since we were spherical, but the lack of raw was a bummer. I just think having both options in the back pocket means you have a camera that can do whatever anyone wants, versus saving money on the license. Makes it a much more attractive rental, even if those features aren't used, it's a small uptick on an incredibly expensive camera anyway, if you can buy a mini you can buy the arriraw/4:3 license.

• 4 weeks later...

If you just want "an ARRI" then buy a classic on eBay, they're selling for a song!

But if you're getting paid work worth of an ARRI and have rentals lined up? Then this decision should be easy for you, and you should already know the answer yourself without needing to ask us!! (hint: it is the Mini)

But the fact you're needing to ask which to buy, very strongly indicates to me that you should *NOT* be buying an Alexa.

Get yourself a Panasonic EVA1 or URSA Mini Pro G2 or Sony FS7 instead.

• Upvote 1