Why is 15-24 market the target in 2019?

Max Field

When someone on here complains about the tent-pole features being targeted to the younger market I'm not arguing that producers believe that, I'm just wondering if those producers ever actually seen someone that age watch a movie in the last 5 years.

Literally every time I've witnessed someone under 25 watching a feature film, the majority of their time is spent talking with others around them (not about the movie) and sliding through things on the phone.

I'm not sitting here complaining about that behavior, cause the reality is feature-length movies desperately need evolution when it comes to pacing if they want to survive past 2040.

Even with all the super hero movies, it feels as if people aged 30-40 are the primary consumers and anyone under 25 into them are trying to wear their "movie-buff" hat. I'm aware numbers show the youth to be the main demographic, but many of those stats are from over a decade ago.

So getting back to the title of the post; Would spending $100 million on a film pandering to middle-aged people really hurt revenue that much?

Edited by Macks Fiiod

I just heard something recently that stated from some survey .. I think under 25 or close to that.. that some huge percentage of all viewing of that age group .. was youtube... certainly the case with my 3 daughters .. last year they went to see three films.. Dunkirk.. I invited myself.. and the Queen flick..and Crazy Rich Asians ..presumably due to "buzz" on youtube/instagram.. I presumed all those "cartoon character " movies are targeting an older audience that read the comic as kids..

certainly the case with my 3 daughters .. last year they went to see three films.. Dunkirk.. I invited myself.. and the Queen flick..and Crazy Rich Asians ..presumably due to "buzz" on youtube/instagram..

Are the daughters 15-24 and into general internet progressiveness? Those last 2 films had young people rushing out due to their political connotations.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

OP, times change. Just how it is. From my point of view, goes along with my thread on age discrimination for jobs.

In the old days, older people ran things and younger people worked their way up the ladder. Internet age, younger tech people run things and cater to younger people with their production.

Are the daughters 15-24 and into general internet progressiveness? Those last 2 films had young people rushing out due to their political connotations.

Yes in that age group.. yes like I would guess 99% of their age group in "first world" countries they are very internet/computer savvy .. TBH I don't think they have that much interest in the political connotations of these films.. although Im sure aware of them due to general inter web discussion of everything under the sun.. just asked the 17 yr old.. she liked Queens music.. and had heard both films were good.. Dunkirk was due to Harry Styles .. ! so there was a reason they cast him :)

Actually the most frequent movie going audience is 25-39. At least according to MPAA stats.

People still make content for an older audience. It just doesn't often do well at the box-office and usually has to break even in SVOD or OTT. Wakefield is a good example of a great recent film that underperformed financially. Probably due to it's marketing but it could also be the slower pace of the movie. Changing audience tastes. Hard to say.