Diffusion frame sizes and uses + fabric sizes

Hello folks,

I watched a diffusion video from Aputure where they used some smaller diffusion frames, I think 48"x48", and various diffusion fabrics like muslin, magic cloth, and grid that were already in that size. I cannot for the life of me find 48"x48" fabrics aside from Voodoo Cloth from MSE and Magic Cloth from TRP - I'm wondering if they were custom made, though they had grommets and looked like larger-sized fabric pieces with a hem.

To that end, what do you all recommend for diffusion in interior spaces? I'm fine with getting a 6'x6' or an 8'x8' frame for outdoor usage, I just wonder if there's a feasible, smaller form factor for interior lighting. I'm still learning much about lighting and grip and I'm grasping at straws on how to properly do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Premium Member

I am sure The Rag Place can make that up

http://theragplace.com/

I've seen 4x4s of such material before, and asked for it on occasion; but honestly, normally on a 4x4 frame we're doing gel cuts.

For interior work I much like a 6x6 or an 8x8. Normally we'd just T-Bone them, no need really to build a whole frame.

Depends on the space, of course. Sometimes we need to use a 12x12 T-bone, even if it's just a living room.

Westcott Scrim Jim kits are another option.

We have a few in our rental inventory and are nice because they break down to fit in a small carry case.

Surviving the rental world pretty good too.

https://www.fjwestcott.com/shop/light-controls/scrim-jim-cine

Another grip/fabric shop is

Modern Studio Equipment

https://modernstudio.com

Modern has an Instagram and FB page and they have Monday deals - They just had a deal on a 6x6 frame.

Cool to deal with on the phone too. (The Rag Place is a good shop as well )

Edited by Ed Conley

• Premium Member

Instead of building a whole frame as a square you just use one section of the pipe attached to a stand; basically forming a T, if you can imagine that, and then hang your cloth from it. Only really works for interiors where you don't have wind and the like and just need something put up quickly.

Thank you David and Adrian! I'll check in with the Rag Place, pick up a 6x6 frame and go from there.

Try Highlight Film Works, local manufacturer of rags, appleboxes, etc., in Yonkers, NY area. Email is easiest: Phgrip01@aol.com He'll make any size flag or rag you want, with any fabric he has available. His 4x4 Ultrabounce floppies are great, better build quality than others. He does re-covers and repairs as well.

Edited by JD Hartman

Chimera makes collapsible panel frames with a variety of fabrics. So does Westcott with the Scrim Jim Cine system.

LA Raghouse offers just about any of their fabrics in a 4x4 slip-on, which mounts directly onto a 48x48 trace frame.

All depends if you need a solid or collapsible 4x4 frame.