If a film person goes to digital ...

Jon O'Brien

No, it's not the way I'm viewing a trailer, the examples I've cited are real, in theaters and on Blu Ray. You can check it out yourself or maybe you somehow don't notice it.

yeah quite honestly I dont see it on modern films.. the older very early video feature films .. yes they do look different.. and I didn't really like the look either.. Collateral for eg.. although they were trying something new ..but the tech just wasn't there.. but these days no I think k there is lots of night stuff that looks great.. that is I dont notice anything.. the whole film looks good day and night shots..but if there is some effect I just dont see,, I really really doubt its down to 360 shutter.. on feature films.. there might be one static wide shot they need.. but whole scenes.. and this is a usual thing that DP,s regularity do..even on big budget films.. I cant see that happening ever.. and Ive never worked on anything where the DP did this..unless they wanted that look.. all the night shots in Gone Girl.. you saw this too?.. I mean if its the limitations of sensors you would see its all the time no..?

Zodiac has ONE shot if I'm not mistaken which is when Graysmith goes to see Paul Avery on his boat. It's a pan left to right, day time, smeary, then again, it was the Viper. There might be others but this one stuck with me. Otherwise, I haven't seen Gone Girl, TSN in a while but I don't think there was in those.

We're not talking limitations of the sensors, either they didn't have enough light or it was another technical consideration. But trust me, it's there but most films I see that are shot digitally rarely have it. And there is, it's usually isolated to a handful of shots

Zodiac has ONE shot if I'm not mistaken which is when Graysmith goes to see Paul Avery on his boat. It's a pan left to right, day time, smeary, then again, it was the Viper. There might be others but this one stuck with me. Otherwise, I haven't seen Gone Girl, TSN in a while but I don't think there was in those.

We're not talking limitations of the sensors, either they didn't have enough light or it was another technical consideration. But trust me, it's there but most films I see that are shot digitally rarely have it. And there is, it's usually isolated to a handful of shots

OK well I was referring to the use of 360 shutter.. that has been claimed to be regularly used due to I presume ,"not lighting properly." to mean not enough light.. I thought this was what you were talking about.. I guess intrinsically an electric shutter is different from a physical one.. but basically its the same end result re motion blur.. a Digital camera can of course have a 360 degree shutter..but this effect is very apparent if there is any motion in there frame.. and would really standout.. but yeah Im not looking for it.. and I don't see why it would happen happen only rarely .. they are whip pans ..?

• Premium Member

I can certainly see using it now and then (not 360, but 240 or 270 degrees at the most) if it makes a more interesting shot due to using low light levels. I don't see why we have to limit ourselves to doing things that only film cameras can do. But I haven't had to do it in a number of years. Every time I've been tempted, the shot had too much motion in it to get away with it.

• Premium Member

I can certainly see using it now and then (not 360, but 240 or 270 degrees at the most) if it makes a more interesting shot due to using low light levels. I don't see why we have to limit ourselves to doing things that only film cameras can do. But I haven't had to do it in a number of years. Every time I've been tempted, the shot had too much motion in it to get away with it.

I just think the look is very "videoesque" and it degrades the production value.

Sure as an effect shot.. ..or just easier than bringing in lights for a wide shot with no motion.. Im not saying that it must always be 180 .. my point was solely that I don't believe the statement that slow shutter is used on a regular basis due to "not properly being lit" be that not enough lights or some perceived laziness of the DP.. to shoot whole scenes on drama/feature films..or even doc,s for that matter..and that this practice was a reason that Digital films look "bad".. DP,s are not doing this on a regular basis .. its incorrect.. still waiting for examples to be proven wrong..

I just think the look is very "videoesque" and it degrades the production value.

So what are the feature films or drama series that display this large use of slo shutter .. I agree it doesn't look nice.. in "regular " shots.. ie not an effect.. but you claim its regular practice in modern digital films.. I haven't seen it at all.. and I ve never seen it used on anything Ive ever worked on.. except effect or one or two grabbed shots .. never would a whole scene be shot in slo shutter due to lack of lights or an incompetent DP.. for a Dp you do seem to often display a lack of faith in your comrades ..

• Premium Member

for a Dp you do seem to often display a lack of faith in your comrades ..

I'm bored of today's wide-release theatrically bound cinematography. It's too manipulated, it's too perfect, to realistic, it's not gritty or interesting. There are of course some masterpieces released each year, but they're generally far in between these days.

In the last 2 years there have been only two movies I've loved the cinematography on; Phantom Thread and The Favorite. In my eyes, that's what cinematography is suppose to be.

I may get to shoot a theatrically bound feature later this year, things are looking good. If it happens, I'll give you an example of what I mean. :)

Yes I agree everything is pretty polished these days.. to some extent I just think the general level is just a lot higher than even 10 years ago.. my kids are watching early Grey's Anatomy shows... and TBH the lighting looks very lit, harsh flat.. and pretty much day time TV aesthetic .. I don't think you would get away with that these days.. but I mean there is still alot hand held stuff being filmed.. unusual framing etc.. Im including all the fantastic Netflix /HBO etc revolution thats happening.. sort of a golden age I think.. for cinema and TV..