Simulating Drugs

Max Field

Wondering if anyone had some resources I could look to for simulating various drugs. It's for a found footage short I'm doing later this year.

Google keeps giving me news stories about real drugs instead of cinema drugs.

I need to figure out the best way of faking a double cup of lean. Also faking a crack pipe.

Thanks for any resources or info you might have.

• Premium Member

Well when we had to do it we used a real crack pipe which we bought from amazon. It's called a glass pipe.

For the crack we used rock salt, but we didn't actually burn that.

I honestly forget what we used to actually be smoked, but I do recall we covered it in a cut and I think just replaced it with herbal cigarettes.

Good topic. I've always wondered what's substance is used when actors sniff a line of powder? And do they really sniff it or is there some type of vacuum prop that's used as the straw?

I think I've read somewhere before that they use petroleum jelly inside the straw, but I've never read what substance is used. But I don't what the legitimacy of that is. Anyone have any idea?

• Premium Member

When we had to do coke it was, I believe, infant formula. And yes, the actress did snort it-- though I do not think, generally, that is what is done. It was a long time ago.

As for the burning-- that didn't seem to be a problem given how quickly you light and then stop-- Though I do wonder if you could prop it just right to combine a small vap-pen in the pipe somehow and then you just put the torch close to it.

Good topic. I've always wondered what's substance is used when actors sniff a line of powder? And do they really sniff it or is there some type of vacuum prop that's used as the straw?

I read that it's powdered vitamin B. I've also used baking soda many times.

This was a great video I found 2 years ago of a guy showing how to make crack so real looking you can sell it (and then get murdered)