K3 and shutter at end winding

Luigi Castellitto

Who knows the problem that have many K3 (maybe all?) ff the shutter that does not remain closed or remains halfway at the end of the winding? Which then leaves an exposed frame, which is lost, and viewfinder "close".

As soon as the wind is touched for a new winding, the shutter returns to position, but the frame is lost... Is there a way to avoid it?

Thank you. :)

• Premium Member

When the spring runs out the mirror shutter will stop wherever it happens to be. I don't think you could set the meshing such that it always ran out with the shutter covering, there are too many variables.

It's good practice to wind the spring after every shot, and to avoid running a spring motor camera all the way down anyway, since it will very likely slow down towards the end of the spring run, as well as potentially giving you a flashed frame. (Although some might like that effect..) Some cameras, like the Cine Kodak Special, had a little warning bell that rang just before the end of the spring run to let you know it was about to run out. If you wanted to avoid it in a K3 you would need to use a timer or just estimate the time to keep your shots shorter than the full spring duration.

Thank you both. But I have to say that it only happens with the K3 of all the spring cameras that I have. It does not happen, for example, with the Bolex H8 and with the Pathé DS8 (which have the warning bell). I will try to not exhaust the spring completely and avoid the last few seconds.

Do you know that all K3 have this problem? Because it seems to me that with a model I had so many years ago it did not happen.

Ah, I had removed the FRONT panel (see: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=78897)of K3 to clean the glasses, I don't remember if before opening the problem there was, but I think that front aperture does not affect the shutter: am I wrong?

• 1 year later...

Well I own a K-3 which runs fine after the obligatory steps (gate polishing, loop formers removed, light leaks taped, etc.). When the spring runs out, the shutter stops at a random position on my K-3, but it takes just a small touch counterclockwise with the wind up blade (if that's the right word) and the shutter mechanism safely snaps into place. This also ensures that the pulldown claw is engaged and the film is held firmly in place. Hope this helps.