Shooting anamorphic 2X with ARRI SR1 Possible ?

Matthieu Tondeur

Hi,

I'm looking for the possibility to use an ARRI SR1 in regular16.

I'm shooting with a custom made anamorphic kit adapter 2X.

I read somewhere that it is possible to adapt the 2x viewfinder from a ARRI 35BL into an ARRI SR1.

If anyone would be knowledgeable about this.

One question would be if this is even do-able, and another question will be how I can buy it and have it mounted on the Arri SR1.

(not interested by video assist etc..)

Thanks.

Matthieu

• Premium Member

I read somewhere that it is possible to adapt the 2x viewfinder from a ARRI 35BL into an ARRI SR1.

If anyone would be knowledgeable about this.

One question would be if this is even do-able, and another question will be how I can buy it and have it mounted on the Arri SR1.

Hi Matthieu,

yes there was an anamorphic extention viewfinder for the 35BL and 35-III that could be used on an SR1, since they share the same viewfinder connection, but good luck finding one.. I think they were fairly rare. I know Cameraquip here in Melbourne has one among their rental items.

Yea it's totally doable. 2x anamorphic is fine for 4:3 frames like standard 16mm. It would just be funny to view in the viewfinder because it will be squeezed, but if you can live with that, no big deal.

Thanks~

Actually I never shot spherical... I shot anamorphic since i have begun to shoot few years ago. At that moment there was no desqueeze on the atomos for the gh4 so i have the habit to frame and - double- focus with the 2X stretch.

I tested it well with the K-3 recently, but in more pro camera I found the viewfinder way darker... less easy to use anamorphic.

Edited by Matthieu Tondeur

Hi Matthieu,

yes there was an anamorphic extention viewfinder for the 35BL and 35-III that could be used on an SR1, since they share the same viewfinder connection, but good luck finding one.. I think they were fairly rare. I know Cameraquip here in Melbourne has one among their rental items.

Sounds great thanks ! So do you think its an item that I could actually buy from these rental company or they use them quite often ? Just checked on ebay or google, not much to be found unfortunately.

Do you know anyone that would have try it before on a SR1 by any chance ?