Best Cinematography Oscar Snub

Jonathan Flanagan

Where to begin with this one? I think Gregory hit the nail on the head above. The Oscars are a platform to attract an audience of women, so the advertisers can sell them soap (As Rupert Murdock once famously stated.)

Women care about seeing women in glamorous gowns, and handsome male movie stars, that is what attracts them. The people nominated in the technical fields like, cinematography, are complete unknowns to the audience and *gasp* some of these guys are not even good looking, the nerve!!

That's part 1 of the issue. Part 2 is the fact that the public has no clue what a cinematographer, editor, production designer, VFX artist does. Editor is the one that baffles them the most, heck many Hollywood film executives don't understand what an editor does.

The public understands actors, they see those. And they kinda understand what a director or writer does.

I will spare this thread my thoughts on this years, "diversity" awards. Or the fact that Hollywood celebrities now feel that award shows are their personal platform to spout off about their BS political views. (As if multi-millionaire celebrities are going to be affected by shifts in government policy.) I watched this years BAFTAs, two people decided to take a swipe at BREXIT during their acceptance speeches, such a joke.

R,

• Premium Member

The people nominated in the technical fields like, cinematography, are complete unknowns to the audience and *gasp* some of these guys are not even good looking, the nerve!!

R,

• Premium Member

The people nominated in the technical fields like, cinematography, are complete unknowns to the audience and *gasp* some of these guys are not even good looking, the nerve!!

R,

I would add some of these guys are not even good - just the flavor of the month.

G

I would really hope that a number of the "big" producers, directors, and actors, will speak out over this and boycott the show until their fellow artists and technicians are put back into the show.

R,

These trinkets and baubles dont mean anything to me... although I,m good and very handsome too...

You were nominated for an Oscar Robin?

R,

You were nominated for an Oscar Robin?

R,

Yes for best kept camera bag.. it was an early category .. that also got cut due to live broadcast constraints .. I was with some actresses at my Bel Air place the award evening.. so I just didn't bother .. got a lovely call from Marlon though.. he said he would do the same ..

Im not sure the Orange Clown in Chief even knows what the Oscars are.. probably thinks its someone his wall would keep out..

Alfonso Cuarón, may not be given an entry VISA to the US so he can pick up all his awards.

R,

Who watch the oscars anyways?

After Marlon Brandom spitting in they faces, I don't have any respect for that award. Completely ridiculous choice anyways, I agree with the tweet of Cuarón.

screen_shot_2019-02-12_at_11.56.36_am.pn

Well that is not exactly true, films existed for a few years before editing became a thing. They may not have had plots, and were all one shot, were shot on film, but they didn't involve editing.

Edited by Tim Smyth

Well that is not exactly true, films existed for a few years before editing became a thing. They may not have had plots, and were all one shot, were shot on film, but they didn't involve editing.

I thought the same thing, remember Georges Melies for example, but Cuarón is not talking about films in general, he's talking about Masterpieces (I believe the limit of characters in twitter don't let him repeat himself).

• 3 weeks later...