Another Formapan R100

Randy J Tomlinson

What can i say, i love this B/W Film.

Has some graining but for a Din21° Film it is beautiful. I wonder how it compares to Kodak Eastman Double-X?

Filmed in december.

Camera: My belove Arri SR3

Lense: Century Precision 6mm at F1.3 Super Wide Angle

Lab is ANDEC in Berlin / Germany. Film purchased at Fotoimpex.

https://youtu.be/NA97HtugQww

Do you film in Black / White?

The 16mm Fomapan R100 film does not fit my 16mm Kodak Cine Special II camera. I would have liked to try it. Maybe I will try my Bolex.

Then you have single-perf stock and you ordered the wrong product. That camera has teeth on both sides of the sprocket, so it will only run double-perf film, which is available.

https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/movie-films-super-8-to-35mm/1717/fomapan-r-100-16mm-x-30.5m-double-perforated

Bolexes all take single perf.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Then you have single-perf stock and you ordered the wrong product. That camera has teeth on both sides of the sprocket, so it will only run double-perf film, which is available.

https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/movie-films-super-8-to-35mm/1717/fomapan-r-100-16mm-x-30.5m-double-perforated

Bolexes all take single perf.

My camera is single perf. The Fomapan film is too wide to fit down the film track in the camera smoothly.

My camera is single perf. The Fomapan film is too wide to fit down the film track in the camera smoothly.

In that case, have you run the camera before? It seems unlikely the stock would be out of spec. Does it run in the Bolex? If it does then it's the camera that's at fault. If not, very odd.

The manufacturing tolerance for 16mm. in width is 0.025mm, thinner than a hair. It seems to me much more likely that the camera is out of adjustment.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Upvote 1

In that case, have you run the camera before? It seems unlikely the stock would be out of spec. Does it run in the Bolex? If it does then it's the camera that's at fault. If not, very odd.

The manufacturing tolerance for 16mm. in width is 0.025mm, thinner than a hair. It seems to me much more likely that the camera is out of adjustment.

Hi Mark, Yes, I have run Kodak stock in it for years, in fact just a month or so before using Fomapan.

The Cine Special II has a film track leading to, and from, the camera gate, and the Foma is ever so slightly wider than the Kodak stocks. After this happened I found other folks having this issue, but from years ago.

I will try it in my Bolex, as I don't think it has an actual film track inside the camera, as I recall anyway.

Edited by Tim Smyth

• 2 weeks later...

Not really 16mm but both Std8 and DS8, also Fomapan 100; stock bought last April from Norway and shot last May here in Finland:

DS8:

(shot on three different Quartz DS8-3 cameras)

Std8 (thanks to the lens of the two Leicina 8S cameras, much more contrasty footage):

Almost all shots have been shot on a tripod.

Scan: Wolverine, 15 Mbps hacked firmware, lowest sharpening.

Note that all these films have several "making of" 360-degree videos linked in the description of each video.

Edited by Ruotsalainen Werner

Very Odd. I have used 16mm Formapan 100 in my SR3 and also in a Canon Scoopic (Single Perf) and D8 in a Canon DS8 as well as in a Bolex D8-L. (16mm Double Perf)

Never had these Issues. I have my Film from Photoimpex. They sell Formapan R100 as 16mm Single AND as 16mm Double perf.

https://www.fotoimpex.com/films/cine-films-super-8-to-35mm/

• 3 months later...
On 2/22/2019 at 1:04 PM, Mark Dunn said:

Hi Mark,

I was driving the other day, and something Simon said about old cameras needing servicing struck a chord.  After this film incident that day, I did indeed have my camera serviced, and the guy said he cleaned, and lubed the camera, and that it may have never seen service before. Now it is working perfectly, but... on the day of the shoot with the Foma film, it was incredibly hot out, and the camera stopped working, and I now think the camera had simply just had enough.

If I had had Kodak stock in the camera that day, I would have thought "Shucks, my camera broke", but since I had film I had never used before, I had assumed (which is almost always a bad thing) that it must be the film making the camera all sluggish. Hence I thought the film was too wide. I was hand-crankng that day, so I could really feel it.

After your comment above, on the width of film, and Simon's comment in another thread,  it made me think that maybe it was not the film after all, so I put a piece of Foma film in the camera, and it did indeed work smoothly.

So apologies if I insulted anyone on this board, and certainly apologies to Foma film.  I still have 4 unused rolls from that old project, so I will try to make a new film with it this Summer.