arriflex lenses

Michael Leake

• Premium Member

Anytime I've used an Arri 16 ST, one of the ports was Arri Bayonet.

Technically that would make it a 16 SB rather than an St, but yes they are more common I think.

The OP did specify an St standard lens cavity though.

• Premium Member

I think I must have an arri 16SB, one of the ports has a stainless steel liner and the lenses I have seem to mount into this port

with a little more security. More information, I have seen on eBay, some arri lenses which were inexpensive. they were

advertised as being 35mm lenses. I take that to mean that they would fit a 35mm camera and would not be compatible with

an arri 16 SB. they were PL mount and looked like the PL mount could be removed. I have seen some some lenses for an arri 16

which had PL mounts. They also looked like the PL mount could be removed to reveal an arri standard mount lens. Also, I probably

would be better off if I saved for an arri standard mount lens. They seem expensive, however.

• Premium Member

I think I must have an arri 16SB, one of the ports has a stainless steel liner and the lenses I have seem to mount into this port

with a little more security. More information, I have seen on eBay, some arri lenses which were inexpensive. they were

advertised as being 35mm lenses. I take that to mean that they would fit a 35mm camera and would not be compatible with

an arri 16 SB. they were PL mount and looked like the PL mount could be removed. I have seen some some lenses for an arri 16

which had PL mounts. They also looked like the PL mount could be removed to reveal an arri standard mount lens. Also, I probably

would be better off if I saved for an arri standard mount lens. They seem expensive, however.

35mm lenses will work fine on a 16mm camera. A lot of older lenses in Standard or Bayonet mount are sold on ebay with cheap PL mounts fitted, which are easily removed. The sellers usually indicate what the original mount is, if not ask them.

Good lenses for a 16St are Cooke Kinetals, which came in Standard mount and tend to sell cheaply because they don't work with more modern 16mm Arriflexes. If you're patient and wait for auctions they often go for `$300 or less.

• Premium Member

Mark Dunn: It can be done, but even the Mamiya 50mm lens gives a really wide angle for the RB67 medium format camera, I just finished a test with the mamiya 50mm on a makeshift mount. It works, however, it does not give you wide angle at all, infact it looks like a 75mm standard lens in the arri viewfinder, adapter project is over.

I just finished a test with the mamiya 50mm on a makeshift mount. It works, however, it does not give you wide angle at all, infact it looks like a 75mm standard lens in the arri viewfinder, adapter project is over.

Presumably your adapter had some sort of bellows focus, as the RB67 lenses lack internal focusing. This would make for quite a cumbersome arrangement for motion picture work.