Star Trek Discovery Season 2; what lenses?

Dominik Bauch

• Premium Member

It's amazing how popular anamorphic lenses are right now. I was watching a new episode of "Drunk History" and the historical recreations are shot in anamorphic, and then during the commercial break, the first commercial was shot in anamorphic. Plus "Doctor Who" is now being shot in anamorphic.

It's amazing how popular anamorphic lenses are right now. I was watching a new episode of "Drunk History" and the historical recreations are shot in anamorphic, and then during the commercial break, the first commercial was shot in anamorphic. Plus "Doctor Who" is now being shot in anamorphic.

It's pretty prolific for sure. NIghtflyers for Syfy looks great, C series. Netflix Glow, Amazon Homecoming etc etc. And almost every 3rd commercial. Panavision must be raking in cash.

• Premium Member

The Star Trek franchise has a long history with Panavision, I think nearly every film and tv series used Panavision cameras and lenses, with most of the movies being anamorphic.

However Star Trek Discovery gets their cameras and lenses from a company called Sim, whose rental catalogue lists Hawk V-Lites, Zeiss Master Anamorphics and Cooke anamorphics among their inventory. I haven't watched season 2 yet to have an idea which of those they might be using.