The Future of Art Fairs Is in a Hotel on Hollywood Boulevard

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

The Future of Art Fairs Is in a Hotel on Hollywood Boulevard

A couple of snips..

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-future-art-fairs-hotel-hollywood-boulevard

As the art industry scrambles to find new fair models that let mid-tier galleries participate without driving them to bankruptcy with booth fees and travel costs, three prominent figures in the Los Angeles art scene—collector Dean Valentine and dealers Alberto and Mills Morán—proposed a radical idea. They would return to the hotel fair model, a throwback to the Gramercy International Art Fair held at the Chateau Marmont in L.A. in the 1990s, where booth prices could be kept low due minimal infrastructure-building costs. For dealers who are really hard-up for cash, they could always sleep in their booth—there’s an option to keep the bed in the room...

...And the cost for the hotel fair would be much lower. Booths at Frieze start at $8,277.50 for the smallest booth, a paltry 215 square feet. For a large booth, mega-galleries have to pay more than $75,000. Meanwhile, a gallery at Felix LA can get a booth for just $4,000, and the most expensive booth, at $10,000, is a small uptick from the low barrier at Frieze—but that fee gets you all 1,200 square feet of the hotel’s over-the-top Roosevelt Suite, more than five times the size of a small booth at Frieze.

Fair Use Photo

Gallery 56 in hotel / show room with art display

(Photo blocked by forum)

Who would have thought galleries pay so much $$ for a booth at shows? They should boycott the greedy bastards that promote the shows. Oh wait...I guess they want to make $$. I forgot, everyone does not do as an underground'er like me would do.

Fascinating article...