How tk get better with Ronin S?

BrandonFuller

I suck!

It feels backwards whenever I try to use this thing.

I thought if it had a wheel instead of a joystick, it would work mich better. It would sprin the same direction every time, and the tilt would match, press up, it woult the head that direction, pull back, the camera come back towards you..

Maybe there is a gimble that works this way already?

Anyway. I saw that you could twist the handle and it does a quick pan that direction, but mine seems to be a lot harder to do than the guy I saw doing it on youtube.

If anyone can link a really good Ronin S instruction video, that would be amazing!

If anyone is in Indianalolis, IN area, and would like to help me learn this better. Please help.

I have a Ronin S /A7III set up.. are you using the phone app.. you need to activate the whole unit with the app the first time you use it.. and you can then set about a million parameters in the app.. vital to use it.. for set up anyway.. you can change the default orientation of the joy stick to like a drone.. ie press up the camera tilts down.. press right camera goes left.. most people do this as its more intuitive.. use smooth track in the app to adjust pan/tilt speed/sensitivity/ and dead band ( how much you have to actually twist/move the handle before the gimbal will actually move.. set it low it moves with small amount of movement .. high it take move movement to make the camera move.. sports mode .. is Zero dead band .. when you get good you can custom set all the motors strengths if you want to..

There is also an auto tune function for the motors.. very handy . sets the strengths for the weight. and a balance test.. which wont auto balance it of course.. but it will tell you if you are really was off.. it has re do.. ok .. or excellent .. in the results ..

And there is a whole load of other stuff.. time lapse.. re mote.. and pre set moves ..

Its most likely not very useable without using the app .. it will just be the DJI presets.. you have to manually balance the whole thing as well of course.. this takes a bit of practice but not rocket science and easy to master in a few hours.. and stick to wide angle lens.. way more forgiving !

Go to the DJI site.. they have tutorial video,s on everything.. its a pretty good bit of gear.. motors are stronger than the M.. I found two handle operation is a lot easier..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

Thanks for the input. I will check out their videos.

I did get good at balancing. Sounds like The app is what will help get me closer. I did not realize it adjusted that much. Glad it does.

Yeah you have to actually activate the Ronin as a once off thing through the app..when you first use it.. with the app you have 100% control over everything .. auto tuning of the motor,s or custom.. and the "Smooth Track" pan ,tilt ,roll.. speed and angle of the joy stick.. I dont think you can actually use the ronin properly without setting up via the app.. vital to setting the ronin to how you like it.. and the only way to set the 3 modes.. def down load it and use it.. also in video on their site..

I did the initial set up. But I need to dive deeper into it. Hopefully I will learn it. It especially sucks as a selfie vlog set up right now

OK .. play with the Dead Band settings.. that governs how far you have to twist the handle before the gimbal moves.. hanging out of a car on a bumpy road you would want it high.. normal use lower.. or as it seems you have it set.. your always fighting it.. are you also on the latest firmware .. there has been about 3 already.. as a Vlog selfie type gimbal Im not sure its the best as its one of or the heaviest one handle gimbal around.. that's going to kill your arm..

Smooth track settings is the main one.. auto tune is very handy if your not going to set motor strength by custom.... and the balance check..

Edited by Robin R Probyn