Prepping negative for print

Derick Crucius

Hey everyone,

Im going to be splcing my negative for print and wanted to ask a quick question.

So from my understand, camera original & negative film should be b-wind (emulsion out) for printing. My question is, what should the orientation be for the perf when splicing on my rewind bench. When splicing, should my perfs be facing me or outwards?

I know this is probably a novice question, but I want to be sure Im doing it right before sending off to the lab.

Any tips or advice about wind and orientation is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Derick

Thanks Simon, does it matter if I send the negative tails out or heads out?

Also, this all gets a bit more confusing working with b&w reversal. In that instance, the base should be towards the lamp with emulsion facing the lens. Im guessing the perfs should be facing the opposite direction than where they would be when splicing, meaning the face the projector?

• Premium Member

Depends on the lab manager, whether s/he likes to make a fool of you by argueing that the neg had to be rewound and that costs an extra. No, serious lab people go through your film in any case, they want to inspect splices now and then and clean it.

A reversal camera original goes through the projector emulsion towards lens as you say correctly. If it’s perforated on one edge only, the projector must not have sprocket teeth on both sides nor a double-sided claw in the gate. With 2-rows perforation you want to know if head or tail is out.

And NEVER SPLICE DOUBLE-PERF LEADER TO SINGLE-PERF FILM.

• Upvote 1