Inventor of gaffers tape dies

In my country gaffer tape is just ridiculous expensive. If the production doesn't pay for it, we use any other tape. If you are in an environment with good light, we use painter tape, which have different colors, and is muuuuuch cheaper.

Gaffer tape is like $10 dolars and painter tape is 0,2 dolars. A world of different in low budget productions.

The same situation happen in your countries?

i assume you mean masking tape when mentioning painter tape,

It's not the same quality (certainly not as strong), if wanting cheaper tape the local DIY or building supplier will have cheaper tapes than the gaffer tape you buy from film & TV suppliers/

Not saying that are the same (on color or quality) but the difference is so much that I seen everything (even white tape painting with sharpies) because nobody is going to expend on that if you have another choice.

Gaffers of 1st CA in my country always have the gaffers tape with himself because are worth they weight in gold.

many years ago in 80,s Russia I gain much favor with the Babushkas who cleaned my hotel room, by giving therm some rolls of really high end gaffer tape brought by the production .. we had a ton off them for a long shoot..word go round and I treated like a king.. I ask d one day why it was so precious.. the answer.. to tape plastic around all their broken windows in the winter .. of course the local tape was rubbish and just fell off..

• Upvote 1