C-Stands- a rare UK sighting

Mark Dunn

Phil may be interested to see these huddling together for warmth the other day, on an independent shoot.

post-9972-0-83820100-1551345544_thumb.jpg

As far as I could see they weren't being used much on set. Perhaps they're so rare nobody knows what they're for.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Upvote 2

Wouldn't have been a problem, there were extinguishers everywhere- because the production put them there.

Probably should have been one for the Steenbeck, because this can happen through dust and neglect

except of course mine is the cleanest Steenbeck in the land.

Anyway there's an extinguisher in my car.

Image ©Steenbeck BVpost-9972-0-09320600-1551523037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Dunn

I don't think they're uncommon at all. They're all over the set in the commercials and indie features I work on as an AD.

But I'm probably not getting the inside joke to be fair...

Dan these must be foreign imports .. a British crew will be making do with Spruce, Birch..and Willow.. ingeniously bound with twine wax, and rubber bands.. and fashioned to purpose with a pen knife..no need for these Johnny foreigner C stands..

• Upvote 2

I've found out that the budget for this indie is close to £2M, so maybe they could afford the optional silver plating.

As of today they haven't even asked for their deposit back. No wonder there was smoked salmon and eggs Benedict on the bagels.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I've found out that the budget for this indie is close to £2M, so maybe they could afford the optional silver plating.

As of today they haven't even asked for their deposit back. No wonder there was smoked salmon and eggs Benedict on the bagels.

Bearing in mind that £1 million is going to the sound recordist.. 5 C stands seems to be a major waste of resources .. esp without any rust ..

• Upvote 1

Bearing in mind that £1 million is going to the sound recordist.. 5 C stands seems to be a major waste of resources .. esp without any rust ..

Believe it or not this shoot was mute, with no ACTT shop steward in sight, so at least they weren't having to pay him to drink tea.

There was a big van outside, but I think it was for lights, not sure his wallet would have fitted in there as well.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Believe it or not this shoot was mute, with no ACTT shop steward in sight, so at least they weren't having to pay him to drink tea.

There was a big van outside, but I think it was for lights, not sure his wallet would have fitted in there as well.

That van would have been full of donuts ,bacon sandwiches and a very large tea urn .. there would have been an Audio Director slumbering in a padded recliner in the back.. checking their shares on an iPhone..

• Upvote 1

That van would have been full of donuts ,bacon sandwiches and a very large tea urn .. there would have been an Audio Director slumbering in a padded recliner in the back.. checking their shares on an iPhone..

No film set in the UK gets started without a visit to the NAAFI Canteen

NAAFI_wagon_5.jpg

Never have so few ..eaten so many bacon rolls..

:D things have moved on, we had bagels with smoked salmon and eggs Benedict.

Come to think of it there was a strong whiff from outside, could have been pork, but we were in Hornsey, so it was probably skunk.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Dan these must be foreign imports .. a British crew will be making do with Spruce, Birch..and Willow.. ingeniously bound with twine wax, and rubber bands.. and fashioned to purpose with a pen knife..no need for these Johnny foreigner C stands..

Wooden Stands? Really? - Oh dear oh dear. That must be a "London" thing. Ooop north we hold our lights, with our bare hands. Of course it takes a 10 year apprenticeship with the lamp holders guild before a young pledge is allowed anything larger then a 2K. Gives time for the callouses to develop (gloves of course are frowned on).

• 3 weeks later...