Electrical: Powering Dimmer Pack with 2 Hot Legs

Joseph Tese

• Premium Member

Hello!

Working with a low-powered dimmer pack - Basically Edison distribution that allows dimmer functionality. It provides 6 Duplexes Out. Half of it is powered by a 20AMP source, and another 20AMP for the other.

It's powered by an L14-20 Plug.

Device spec:

2 Phase 120VC 50/60Hz

Max Input Current: 2x20A

Max Wattage: 4.8kW

Max Load Per Channel 1.2KW

Often times, because an L14-20 is not accessible, I use a reverse Y-Splitter (x2 Male Edisons, combined into one female L14-20 Connector). I plug the x2 male edisons into two different receptacles (different breakers and different phases as well.)

My question: Is there any disadvantage to plugging the two Edisons from Y-Splitter onto different receptacles with different breakers, but the same phase? The advantage in this scenario would be accessibility, and the ability to plug this into a single lunchbox (to give one example).

Perhaps, having the same phase angle put too much stress on the copper (overheat?)

Joe

You can overload the neutral= bad.

The 14-20 only uses one wire for neutral and it is only sized to carry 20amps.

When using it on a 14-20 plug on a 14-20 receptacle it is not a problem because you'll end up with about zero on the neutral so the Neutral can be sized for a 20amp load.

Technically it is not 2 Phase- it is 240v Single Phase SPLIT in half.

Power on each half basically cancels out the amps on the Neutral.

Example 1:
Hot Line 1= 20amp draw
Hot Line 2= 20amp draw
Zero amps on Neutral

Example 2:
Hot line 1= 20amps

Hot lne 2= 10 amps
Neutral = 10amps

BUT when you use the same "Phase" it adds up.

Hot Line 1= 20amps

Hot Line 1= 20amps

Neutral is now carrying 40amps.

Hot line 1= 15amps

Hot line 1= 10 amps

Neutral = 25amps

The 2nd problem you have is your Y-Splitter you made to use on two separate receptacles.

Since you are connected to two separate circuit breakers power will not be completely shut off if there is a fault on one receptacle.

This leaves a false sense of safety because people think power has been shut off on both sides

• Premium Member

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

Aligning with what your saying, and understanding phase angles a bit better, I understand why pulling from the same phase puts too much through the neutral.

My head's having a hard time understanding why it's single phase split in half. Will keep thinking.

Couldn't I rewire the dimmer pack so two seperate edison stingers come out the back? If this was the case, each side would have its own neutral, hot and ground.

To your point though, I am compensating having a master breakered switch across the board.

Joe

two separate stingers would work- then it doesn't matter how you plug it into any available receptacle except making sure the two outlets are on separate circuits.

One in one room one in another. Most room receptacles share the same CB, so even if you plugged into a receptacle on one wall and then used one on another wall, you might trip the breaker- if you really are pulling 20amps per stinger.

• Premium Member

Thanks, Ed.

90% of the time I'd just use a lunchbox, so two duplexes next to each other making it convenient. This accessibility is what sparked my question, originally.

Thanks for the help-

Joe