macro lighting setup for This cool Berry shot.

Hello. I'm trying to figure out how this image was lit and possibly some incite into post if it was a heavy grade. It seems like there is a strong back right edge and then some large soft source in front camera left. I tried to do something similar (with very limited resources in comparison i'm sure) which is below the first image. I had 2 10x10" Westcotts. One that was reasonably close as a key from camera left just in front and the other as a back edge camera right. So much feels off about my shot. Because of how close my key is, you can see all the pings in each berry cell but mostly its just the contrast feels off. In the first shot it feels like its a large soft source further away but somehow theres this perfect rolloff looking left to right on the berry and then this powerful edge that somehow edges the yogurt but doesn't hit the spoon. If it is large sources further away, how is this light being controlled? I'm also guessing they had a camera with a larger color depth (I am on an a7s ii with a custom cine4 picture profile) and also a large post workflow that I didn't do at all. I would love to hear other people's thoughts on it and the myriad of reasons the first shot is so good.

Thanks.

post-68226-0-64809000-1552157243_thumb.jpg

post-68226-0-06436700-1552157714_thumb.jpg

there edge light is more toward the rear and hitting a little hotter. The key light is much more sidey almost rear third so the front/front fright of the raspberries go a little darker which creates that nice contrast ratio. They are probably using bounce or another light to fill in the front camera right side of the raspberry.

There key light does look a bit softer to me it has a nice fall of from the back of the raspberries, but I wouldn't assume its super far away or huge. you could probably get away w/ a 4x4 frame or even a 2x3 frame close the edge of frame.

notice the difference in the lighting on the spoon. see how the front edge of theirs barley has any light on it. that shows the angle of the key light

they also have a little pop light in the BG that is either coming from the source creating the edge or a 2nd source just for that BG effect. you could achieve this with a small amount of haze in the room and have the light just outside of frame. this light was also cooler or colored cooler in post for a nice color contrast w/ the red raspberries

Lastly they are using shallower depth of field w/ only part of the raspberries in focus, which gives a nice polished cinematic look.

oh and there camera angle is a bit lower shooting up which really gives the raspberry a hero effect. to me looks like they are also on a wider angle lens.

the cameras color depth and post work is a part of it too, but you can get a lot closer with the lighting. With the color red for something like this almost always in color grade you can pull a selection on red and work on the saturation/hue to get a really clean vibrant color - all cameras have trouble capturing that.

Edited by Albion Hockney