What is the SRW9000 Sensor?

Max Field

• Premium Member

Yep, F35 sensor in a single-piece body with the SR tape deck built-in.

To use it in 2019 youd want to make sure it has the 3G-SDI and 4:4:4 upgrade boards.

Theyll allow you to get all of the goodness out of the sensor and on to an external recorder.

• Upvote 1

It's a very impressive 5.7K CCD and was the only way to get true 444 1080p for a while. In fact I think the Tron team picked the F35 because of it's ability to pull a cleaner key than anything else available. The sensor and look is unlike anything used now. Very film-like. 500asa. No rolling shutter artifacts at all.

I saw this great looking short done with one not too long ago. Watch it on a big screen.

Search "Los Angeles 1991" on the Vimeo channel

And this teaser has some very film-like color too

Edited by Vince Sweeney

• 5 months later...

The SRW came in two flavors.. the 2/3" model and the PL version which was the 35mm sensor. To my understanding, unlike the F23 and F35.. the SRW had SLog but not S-Gamut. I frankly like the build of the F23/35 better.. the SRW9000 is just too beefy and to my understanding really went nowhere... havent seen much done with one..

As an owner of a 9000PL, I can confirm that the SRW 9000PL does have slog/sgamut. It has the same sensor and therefore pretty much the same capabilities as the F35. It has some advantages like a better form factor for shouldering. It is much smaller, lighter and less power hungry compared to the F23 or F35 when paired with the SRW-1. It has 3g sdi out so you have more options for external recorders since you don't have to use dual link. Really the onlly downsides are you loose the 12bit and while being smaller than the F35 with the SRW-1 it is larger than the F35 without. There are some other nice things as weil, it can send sdi record trigger, activate tally's and auto fans without tape in the deck which is not as easliy acheived with the F35. While this ability was added specifically for use with external recorders, I do not know if the modern external recorders will detect those sdi trigger signals or not - never tested.

The 9000PL does seem to have some improved processing going on internally as well. I previously owned a F35 and the 9000PL appears to have less noise and I feel am able to push the image further than I was able to with the F35, at least one stop (probably 2) with similar noise levels. This is purely subjective though, I don't have any tests that I can illustrate this since I no longer have the F35 but the specs do mention inproved processing and the camera has ISO800 gamma mode that the F35 doesn't have which I feel is related. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

David, the F35 does have the ISO800 gamma mode, it's just in Custom Mode with Special Selected (3 Options Slog, ISO800 HG7 and ISO800 HG8). I believe we are talking about the same thing.

The SRW9000PL is a fantastic camera... at today's prices it is a steal. Nothing comes close to it in terms of image quality for $.