SxS Slot Alternatives?

Max Field

Hey so SxS cards are honestly way too much money for what they do.

Could anyone provided suggestions on how they get the most space out of SxS slots? SD card adapter? Something that goes out to an SSD?

Open to anything, thanks!

Not sure I would ever want to trust SD cards for a paying job.. but there are SxS to XQD adaptors .. although on the Sony forums there have been die hard adaptor uses get burnt with "spanned clips" not working.. and the first /second part somehow disappearing into cosmic dust.. and these guys vowing to never use adapters again.. the expense of SxS cards is for a reason.. they are the most robust in the universe..they have an internal controller.. the new ones have a 10 year warranty .. personally I would never use an adaptor .. just pay out for the cards.. put your rate up a bit and sleep easy.. 

• Premium Member

Bear in mind that Panasonic's P2 cards are also made quite literally out of SD cards. 

Flash reliability problems are almost invariably caused by connectivity issues, though, so adaptors (regardless of format) are a dubious bet.

At risk of being seen as an unstinting Blackmagic fanboy, I very much like what they've done on their recent cameras which can take SD cards (for lower-bandwidth jobs) or CFast cards (for higher-bandwidth occasions.) Hard to object to that.

One of the upsides of CFast (and SD, for that matter) is that they're serial formats so they have a smaller number of pins than, say, a compactflash card, so the reliability issues are rather smaller. Compactflash cards have 50 pins, of which all but ten or twelve are used for critical things; CFast only has half that number, of which only four are actually signal and only a few more are absolutely required for the thing to work.

I don't shoot Pro Res  but I would recommend the 128GB cards .. I have 5 to be super safe.. and to be able to shoot  a couple of "normal" days, if I cant for some reason down load one day..or want to keep footage on the card.. in XAVC 4K 24/25p I get 63 mins per card and 130 mins in HD..  Pro Res is more data heavy .. so if your shooting 4K and have to do say long interviews only 2 cards might be dangerous.. depends on your work really..  or have a couple of XQD and SxS adaptors as a safety back up ..  what camera will you be using BTW..?

31 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

haha !.. there are pretty cheap second hand f5,s around now.. even f55,s for that matter.. as far as SxS cameras go.. 

Considering going back to URSA Pro now that there's an OLPF out for it now. I just hated how cheap it felt, and all its little software quirks.

4 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Its SxS cards ?

No, but the SSD rear module that allows any recording format, Prores and the rest, is ridiculously convenient. I don't understand why anyone bothers with CFast when that module exists.