Anybody with commercial experience?

Justin Oakley

Hello, I am shooting a 32nd commercial for a friend of mine who owns a business. His secretary sent me the requirements and submission information for the TV station. 

I have two questions

1) what is a “slate”, in the context of commercial submission? I know what a slate is, and I have one...the kind most filmmakers are familiar with. But I’m pretty sure this a different kind of slate. On the form I have it says the slate must include name, ISCI code, and length. I’m just wondering what they are looking for exactly. Do I just create something like a title with this information and stick it before the two seconds of black at the beginning of the commercial? Is “slate” just another name for a title page?

2) I looked up ISCI code (because I had no idea what it was),  and from what I understand this is something that I would create personally…a unique,  alphanumerical identifier for the commercial.  In my Google search, I saw it described as having four letters and four numbers. But the example provided in the email was just 5 numbers. 

If anybody has personal experience with this, a little insight would be GREATLY appreciated. 

Thanks guys! 

Hey Justin,

You are correct, A slate is just a title screen that precedes the spot.

This can be an animated logo that then resolves to the needed info or just plainly a text screen that has info like:

Client Name
Title of Spot
Date
Length of Spot
ISCI code
etc.

The ISCI code is made up of letters and numbers and is between 8 - (and I think 16 characters)? I usually shoot for between 8 and 12.
When we create them for our spots, we try to have the ISCI contain parts of the clients name and title of spot.
Also if the spot is an HD spot, the ISCI code should end in H

For example I just uploaded a completed spot to NBC Sports Net this morning with this info:

Client: Abby’s
Title: Abby’s Offer Two 2019
Date: 3.11.19
Length: 30
ISCI: ABBYTWO2019H

Hope that helps!
Ian

14 hours ago, Ian Tilson said:
Hey Justin,

You are correct, A slate is just a title screen that precedes the spot.

This can be an animated logo that then resolves to the needed info or just plainly a text screen that has info like:

Client Name
Title of Spot
Date
Length of Spot
ISCI code
etc.

The ISCI code is made up of letters and numbers and is between 8 - (and I think 16 characters)? I usually shoot for between 8 and 12.
When we create them for our spots, we try to have the ISCI contain parts of the clients name and title of spot.
Also if the spot is an HD spot, the ISCI code should end in H

For example I just uploaded a completed spot to NBC Sports Net this morning with this info:

Client: Abby’s
Title: Abby’s Offer Two 2019
Date: 3.11.19
Length: 30
ISCI: ABBYTWO2019H

Hope that helps!
Ian

It does! 

Thanks a lot!