Lighting Greenscreen Cyc w. Projected Green from RGB LEDs

• Premium Member

Hello,

I am curious - Has anyone attempted to project Green onto a white surface, for the purpose of keying?

My default reaction is that it would not provide enough saturation, and it just feels wrong.. But I keep thinking about it, and am leading towards requesting a demo of a couple units to test an area of our cyc.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Joe

• Premium Member

it may work on special situations but if you use white background you will very easily generate spill/contamination problems from other lights you use. 

so the green itself will be fine but as soon as you try to light your subject the other normal lights will spill to the white background and contaminate your green with white light causing extreme saturation problems and making a clean key difficult. That is the reason why it's rarely done, even if it sounds tempting at first to just use ANY white background instead of having a proper green screen and just "color it with green light because it's easier" . the thing is, IT'S NOT even remotely as easy as using a truly green background from the start and will become exponentially more difficult when your subject light levels rise. 

I would maybe use the technique on special occasions depending on the subject lighting but for any normal greenscreen stuff it is much easier to just have a truly green background to begin with. You can of course enhance the background green with super green light if needed :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

On 4/1/2019 at 1:37 PM, Christopher Santucci said:

Keyers these days are WAY better than they used to be, so I have to think it'd work. Green light is green light, either way. It'd be pretty easy to test this out. 

Would love to test it out - Do you have a few RGB Cyc Lights willing to send me? ? I would also want it to be decently clean. I wouldn't want to invest if it's going to be a pain each time, and most of the time it'd be done in-house.