Kodak Double X 7222 Information and Help

Hi everyone!

In a few weeks, I'll be shooting Kodak Double-X 7222 16mm film using the Arriflex 16SB and Cooke Kinetal 12.5, 17.5 and the 25mm lenses. The film will be developed at Cinelab London and scanned with a Spirit 4K (the Scanity is supposedly under maintenance).

It will be the first time using this film stock and camera so tests will be done before the shoot however I was wondering could you tell me what to expect in terms of image quality, graininess etc. The shoot will happen in a metro meaning relatively low light conditions. Also, any tips on properly (over)exposing the film would be greatly appreciated. 

Tips, recommendations or potential alternatives are all welcome. Thank you!

• Marko Steinberg changed the title to Kodak Double X 7222 Information and Help

I shot 5222 a few years ago. Learned it's best to rate it 100-125 asa max so keep that in mind for the subway. Grain is much more prevalent than i expected but it's such a beautiful stock. It's not easy to push so if you really need more exposure - you can shoot on 500t and convert to b&w, but it won't look the same. Make tests and have lab measure negative with densitometer! 

• Premium Member

Shooting 7222 is like shooting some of the really old Hollywood Movie stocks...if you don't have big lights it can get very grainy. A beautiful grain in my opinion but could be a bit much. Highly recommend testing before a shoot.

Movies like Good Night and Good Luck shot in Vision 500T then desaturated in post so keep that in mind.

Just plan on having plenty of light; more than you think you may need so you're not shooting wide open on the lens. It's always easy to remove light in post but adding it in just leads to more grain and ugly blacks.

• 1 month later...