David T. Nethery

Bell & Howell 200 - how to add lubrication ?

I have a Bell & Howell 200 twin turret camera which I've had for some time , but until now has only been a nice looking 'paper weight'. (it's a 16mm 50'ft. magazine camera, not easy to get film for these cameras; the mags are designed to take 2-perf film.)   But I've wanted to try it out .  I didn't realize until recently there is an alternative method of loading these magazines that allows for the use of 1-perf film. 

The camera winds and runs , sounds smooth, no squealing, grinding or clunking,  but of course it is unlikely to have been serviced in the last 50+ years ...  so I'm wondering if I should try to add a few drops of lube ... I would imagine it's fairly simple inside ,  it looks like there are only 4 screws on the right side of the camera , which I think will give me access to any parts that need lubrication ...  and one big screw in the middle of the winding key ... but I wonder if the spring is going to jump out if I take the side of the camera off or if the spring is in some sort of container which prevents it from unraveling ? 

Anyone have any experience with opening these up and adding fresh lube ?     Anything I should watch out for ?

bell-howell-200t.jpg

On 3/14/2019 at 7:49 PM, David T. Nethery said:

I didn't realize until recently there is an alternative method of loading these magazines that allows for the use of 1-perf film.  

Hi David,

I heard about it, but never seen it.

Can you explain better how you load these magazines ?

Posted (edited)

Hi, Phillipe -

Pavan Deep made a video showing how to do it .  It's on the Facebook 8mm & 16mm users group.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156659339657394&set=gm.10155647398975671&type=3&theater&ifg=1

and see this post:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155998791637394&set=gm.10155104196645671&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Edited by David T. Nethery
additional information provided