Negative Fill?

• Premium Member

It's when you take away some light by bringing in a large black flag near the subject -- for example, when it's overcast outside and the light is too flat, you can reduce some of the ambient light on one side of the face with a black flag. Or when you have a strong backlight that is raking a white wall and filling in the shadows too much, you can drap the off-camera parts of the wall with black cloth to kill the reflection and get more contrast.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The big problem with negative fill - and in perpetually overcast England it's important - is that the black flags often need to be absolutely gigantic, especially if you're doing more than a head-and-shoulders of someone. I always try to shoot up against some large, dark building, which has a similar effect.

Phil

• Premium Member

This picture here shows negative fill in use:

http://www.kevinzanit.com/hd/02/karsem006.JPG

I had a large piece of duvy placed on the camera left side of the actor to absorb some of the bounce from the driveway from filling in their faces.

And this is the resulting image:

http://www.kevinzanit.com/hd/02/02_camera.jpg

I use negative fill a lot on my exterior work, or when I am in a location with lighter color walls. I find when I bash a large unit through a window the ambient bounce back can flatten the image out more than I care for. So to combat that, I use negative fill, and then I may walk in a unit/ piece of foam core that will let me shape the fill a little more (or I may do nothing and let the contrast build up).

Kevin Zanit

The big problem with negative fill - and in perpetually overcast England it's important - is that the black flags often need to be absolutely gigantic, especially if you're...

Meh, you're just upset because of that wonderful nickname of yours... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Hey Kevin,

I'm working a project without the money for proper grip gear. Instead of a floppy/duvetyn, what cheaper non-reflective material would suffice for this task?

Would this do it? http://www.amazon.com/Prism-Backdrops-Muslin-Backdrop-Background/dp/B001C6IWME/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I like how big it is!

Cheers

• Premium Member

As long as it's non-reflective and black it'll work fine. I've been in situations where I've just used Furniture Pads if I'm in a bind. It's just there to kill off light bouncing 'round. Now-- whether or not that'll be controllable is another thing entirely.

It should do it. thanks Adrian.

As long as it's non-reflective and black it'll work fine. I've been in situations where I've just used Furniture Pads if I'm in a bind. It's just there to kill off light bouncing 'round. Now-- whether or not that'll be controllable is another thing entirely.

As long as it's non-reflective and black it'll work fine.

Your negative fill does NOT need to be black. I like to use a 18% day grey muslin or a 43% night grey muslin as well. I have both rags sewn together (back to back) in a few different sizes that I like to use when working with negative fill. The different greyscales allow you to control how much negative you want. Sometimes killing everything with a solid is too much. Sometimes backing off a solid to give you less is not an option. It is also useful when you want to stop contamination in a green/blue screen environment without losing all your ambient. It is cheap and effective.

These muslins also double us as a neat backdrop for still photos. The night grey mimics a night sky tone and can be shot into as well.

Good luck

• 3 years later...

Or when you have a strong backlight that is raking a white wall and filling in the shadows too much, you can drap the off-camera parts of the wall with black cloth to kill the reflection and get more contrast.

Could you explain where what is in this case? Is the light between the subject and the wall or is the wall on one side of the subject?