Gel on window to create moonlight / sunset

I have a small 18" x 24" window on a door where daylight spills through. I would like to gel this window so it looks like one of two things; either moonlight or late sunset. I realize those are two very distinctly different color pallets and aesthetics; however, I am open to either or trying both. 

Is using an ND enough to create a moonlight look? 

Thank you

Peter

What are the rest of your lights balanced to? Tungsten or Daylight?

If you want that general warm sunlight blast then I'd suggest playing around with varying degrees of CTO gel in order to achieve the precise look you want. They also have ND+CTO gels that could help.

• Premium Member

if doing moonlight you might want to control the daylight ambience with flags and frames to make it more directional and single source looking.

for warm sunset look it is possible in some cases to create both the warm "sunlight" and cooler "sky ambience" with the single source by using partial gelling and diffusion on a frame or light.  For example, one can take a large piece of diffusion media and cut a hole to the center where one would attach a piece of clear CTO... then one would have a hard center light with lower colour temperature and cooler, dimmer and softer ambience light coming from the other parts of the frame. ND gels or CTB could added if needed to adjust the balance between the two. 

one could also just partially cover a frame with CTO and partially with diffusion, for example 251, and add some 1/2ctb or ND or more diffusion over the 251 if needed. OR use two or more frames side by side if that is easier.

• Premium Member

Partially gelling a light for making two different colour temperatures and spreads/hardnesses from single light (in this case making a "sunset light" from a small window on an indie shoot with single 650w tungsten fresnel)

46696604004_e14a91c668_c.jpg

Edited by aapo lettinen

• 1 month later...