intercut ARRI Amira and Sony FS7

Philipp Kunzli

Hey Everybody 

I have a question about the matching of different Cameras and Codecs.

We are just considering a reshoot for our feature film which wrapped last fall. 

The main footage was shot on an ARRI Amira on Log-C. With Zeiss High Speed primes and an Angenieux Optima Style 16-40 zoom.

Du to budget reasons, we won't be able to get the same package. The possibility we have is to shoot on an Sony FS7 MKI on Cine3/Slog3.

Has anybody any experience how this two codecs are coming together in grading, if we would use the same optics?

And what about the worst case option, the Sony 18-110G 4.0 FS7 Kit lens?

THX for sharing your experience!

Phil

• Premium Member

I would not use the kit zoom lens for any cine use because of its horrible latency. You will have hard time focusing with it. 

As for the look difference, I am sure the colorist can match the footages from the two sensors very well so there is only minor differences. The codecs is not a particular problem if you expose the fs7 well. They tend to have more noisy sensors than f5 so the codec will catch the blue specking etc quicker

• Premium Member

Yes I was referring the very slow response of that lens's electronic focusing which is very annoying and makes working it pretty slow even if you just shoot some plates. It is better than no glass at all but I would go for some better glass (or any other glass) if possible

Sony S log and ARRI Log C are very similar, both being based on Cineon. The color science will be different, obviously, but that should be something a competent colorist can deal with. The main issue is likely to be noise, as the FS7 is noisy at its native ISO of 2000. Most people rate them at 800 iso to clean the shadows up, but it does mean that you’ll lose 1 1/3 stop of highlight detail, so keep an eye on hot highlights as they’ll clip a lot sooner than they would on the Amira.