Audio & Syncing with an Arri 35BL & Arri 235?

David Peterson

Have coming up soon my first shoot with Super 35mm film, for which I will be the sound recordist for this film.

And am wondering what should I do and recommend for ease of post for them afterwards? (of course there is always the slower manual way of lining up slate IDs for each take, and we'll of course do that as a back up resort but hoping we can use a better option?)

I've been doing research myself, but it seems there are a fair few variations/opinions here. (and I should get in touch with their development house as well? To see if they can handle AatonCode or ArriCode or whatever it is that the camera has as an option, which I'll spend a tech day on next week to see the cameras in person so I can get a better feel of exactly what it is I am dealing with)

I do know that of course the Arri 235 is a MOS camera, as it will be very very noisy. But they have to use the Arri 235 for all their indoor shots which will all be done on a steadicam, for which their Arri 35BL is too heavy. However I will still be recording audio throughout, so they've got a good reference track to do their ADR with. 

Very keen to hear from others any advice or experiences!