The future of film cameras ...

Jon O'Brien

19 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

The company doing the work for us, has been making film for other markets for decades, so there is no concern about them going out of business. I'm not sure how many batches we would run honestly. It maybe a one off thing to test the waters and could be a complete failure. It could also sell very well and we could continue making more. My guess is, we'd start with one batch (which is one long sheet cut into rolls) and try selling them. See what the results are and based on that, make more.

Thank you for the additional information! That at least seems promising that there are some long term options for motion picture stock — as long as there is a demand — especially, if Kodak is not able to stay stable in the coming future. That if it ends up being, like you say, running a batch / roll, and then selling that off or making a pre-order on a batch to be paid in advance for those interested in shooting film. My personal hope is that from a textural perspective — and partially tonal — that the stock your team is working on is closer to the Fuji stocks, or old Agfa stocks, something that is not as clean as the current Kodak stocks are in 35mm (the new Kodaks stocks are wonderful in 16mm, but possibly a little too clean at times in 35mm, in my opinion). Another pallet encouraged!

• Premium Member

Kodak's motion picture division is pretty healthy. They own quite a few labs and sold tens of millions of feet in 2018. Yea, the numbers still look grim over-all, but that's because we aren't projecting. No prints = less film sales over-all. 

The stock look will not be Kodak at all. We already have a formula from a former stock maker that is unique and will challenge the current paradigm. 

On 4/5/2019 at 1:47 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

Kodak's motion picture division is pretty healthy. They own quite a few labs and sold tens of millions of feet in 2018. Yea, the numbers still look grim over-all, but that's because we aren't projecting. No prints = less film sales over-all.

Yeah, I just wish it was just up to the Motion Picture Division, though. Kodak just sold off another division, a portion of their commercial print supply division ("Flexographic Packaging Division") for $340 million to reduce outstanding debt term. I mean, good for them, everything helps and I am glad they have assets to sell. It is just that I always see it as the fait of Kodak lies on how well they can market and sell in all of these vertical markets and / or their commercial print division. There are some positive signs here and there, but they do always seem to be on thin ice. The Motion Picture Division seems profitable, as you say, and from my understanding, but it is such a large "ship" that whole company. I keep crossing my fingers.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190409005268/en/Kodak-completes-sale-Flexographic-Packaging-Division-Montagu

On 4/5/2019 at 1:47 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

The stock look will not be Kodak at all. We already have a formula from a former stock maker that is unique and will challenge the current paradigm. 

Looking forward to hearing the announcement and welcoming a new stock with a different character!