Where do you get your generic sound from?

1) Start with the 16mm projector foley see below:

2) Convert that video to audio

3) Bring that sound file into a DAW (digital audio workstation) and loop the file for 10 minutes.

4) Import that audio file into your video editing program.

• Upvote 1

Freesound.org has a huge selection of free to use sound effects, though the quality can vary a decent amount.  If you find yourself using a lot of stock sound effects, Audioblocks.com has a subscription-based library that's decent.  The highest quality will likely be from a site where you pay per clip, like Soundsnap.com

For a projector sound, you could probably get away with blending a repeated loop if you can't find a 10+min long clip.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies. Will check out Freesound.org

Don't know much about sound. What is some basic DAW software to get to process sound?

I tried recording a projector running with a mini digital recorder but it does not sound that good. There is lots of art in sound. Not as easy as you think to get it right. You never give sound much thought, it is just there. Maybe I need a microphone and not just use the built in mic.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

2 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Don't know much about sound. What is some basic DAW software to get to process sound?

For free programs, Audacity is pretty popular for a basic audio editing/recording software.  Reaper is also free, but more geared towards recording and music production.  

For video stuff, I find myself using Adobe Audition the most because it's so easily integrated with the rest of Adobe CC, and is fairly powerful.  

+1- Audacity is pretty powerful. You could go a long way with it. Just select a piece of the recording and use "effect>repeat" however many times to create a loop.

If a lo-fi effect is suitable, why not just record that Youtube clip off your computer's speaker, or use the recorder function in Audacity itself.

For video, consider Lightworks, which is free if you don't need to render to HD. The learning curve is fairly steep but if you've ever cut film it will be a bit familiar. LW doesn't need as powerful a machine as some of the other free programs.

Edited by Mark Dunn

9 hours ago, Max Field / Macks Fiiod said:

PM or Skype me, I have a library of over 20gb of stuff

Thanks. I got a number of tiles off of Freesound, so am good for now. Only thing is Freesound seems to be down a lot from my very short time there. Maybe they were just having a bad day. Someone else I told about it said the same thing. so must not be just me.