The joy of making underground films

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Someone asked me on another forum what an underground film is when I mentioned it.

Well, I'm no expert and it is hard to define exactly. But to me it is something non-mainstream, uncensored, not made for the sake of $ and made for the sake of art and or expression. And when I say not made for the sake of $, sure you can make underground films to make $. But true underground films are not bound by demands of making $..they put art and expression first.

In the beatnik era, the 'mimeo revolution' allowed for underground publications to be made on a low budget in someone's basement in Greenwich Village. That may be where the term underground was first used in art, film and printing. But really it started much earlier than that...it was just not termed underground.

I'm an underground social documentary still photographer. You can look at my photos and posts and get an idea of what being underground means. I got into the underground film end of things through managing a photo archive. One day the still photo archive branched out into small gauge films. It is a case of the proverbial one thing leads to another. Or as Gary Winogrand once said: "the more I do... the more I do."

Both NSFW

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/

https://danieldteolijrarchivalcollection.wordpress.com/

I was looking at my tablet relaxing at night scrolling through the fat girls of Instagram looking for attention. That spawned a number of social documentary videos off my tablet / computer screen to document them. Here is one that struck me as something interesting in our #metoo era to document. No matter how much the gals complain about men...goddamn they crave attention...don't they. 

(BTW...when you are underground you can do or say anything you like. You are already snubbed by the mainstream, so it is no loss to your career or sales. If someone would boycott you, you would welcome the attention. You are only bound by man-made laws and natural laws. And that is the freedom of expression being underground can give you. Martin Scorsese is a good example of how being beholden to $$ can ruin something. He was forced to desaturate the red blood at the end of Taxi Driver to meet demands of making $$. Now decades later the original red blood footage has never surfaced and only the embarrassing brownish, desaturated blood remains.) 

Full Title of video:

'A social documentary study of a girl on Instagram showing off her jiggly ass in the #metoo era for men and lesbian separatists to ogle over as America destroys itself in a soft civil war.'

Politically Correct Statement:

Lesbian separatists and third-wave feminists object to the use of the term 'girl' for any female after she has reached the age of menstruation.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 1 month later...

You have to stay on top of this stuff. I waited a few weeks to make a video on an Instagram account I liked, then poof, they were banned and everything is gone overnight. 

I was first clued into the ephemeral nature of the Internet many years ago while watching a video on YouTube at lunch. I got through half of it and was going to finish on lunch break the next day. When I went to the link YT had removed the video for copyright issue. It was just a video on some art galleries. I guess the galleries didn't want their art on YT.