Union operator question

2 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

Bruce, when you shoot the movies in Ukraine or Russia, I forget the exact country.  Does the producer sign an IA contract for you?  And do your payments go through EP with US tax withholdings taken out?

R,

No.  I work as a contractor and must report and pay my own taxes plus the "self employment tax" which is the employer's share of Social Security and Medicare taxes.  An additional 9.5% tax.

My first Russian film was produced by Sony pictures and they refused to pay me on an IA contract, even though they are a signator.  I even offered to adjust the rate so that it would not cost them extra for the benefits. But they did pay me on the Sony payroll as an employee  and flew me 1st class ?

11 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

I've seen examples of unions preventing unfair dismissal by threatening strike action. So maybe a union might have given some protections, at the very least they would have held the employer to a formal appeals/disciplinary process rather than a casual firing.

One can see some of the hilarity in this situation though, the employee felt insulted by the gift from his employer, but again.....the employer owes him nothing anyway.  When I worked at CTV the president's name was Doug Bassett, the Christmas turkey we were given every year was known as the Bassett Budgie.  Then Ivan Fecan (pronounced Fitzan) took over, the turkey was then known as the Fitzan Pheasant.

R,

26 minutes ago, Richard Boddington said:

One can see some of the hilarity in this situation though, the employee felt insulted by the gift from his employer, but again.....the employer owes him nothing anyway.  When I worked at CTV the president's name was Doug Bassett, the Christmas turkey we were given every year was known as the Bassett Budgie.  Then Ivan Fecan (pronounced Fitzan) took over, the turkey was then known as the Fitzan Pheasant.

R,

Sure what he did was disingenuous  and deeply stupid. 

I've always made a much better effort to anonymize myself when I'm calling out my employer on the internet (just make a fresh email/account its not that hard) . Or if they are treating the CA employees less well than the US ones, there are probably betterways to refer upto to management than twitter.

But employee's do dumb stuff all the time, hence why good companies have decent disciplinary procedures  and a zero tolerance approach could result in the loss of an otherwise good worker that could be reformed. 

But in this case who knows, was it a moment of madness or the final straw after bunch of infractions? 

17 hours ago, Richard Boddington said:

Ah so you worked non-union and you survived the process.  Like so many others. ?

R,

Yes, of course.  But I was commenting on the contractor vs. employee situation that you posted about.  Not really about Union vs. non-Union work. 

I've worked in this business a while and I've had issues with both Union and non-Union companies regarding failure to pay or pay in full.  But in general, the Union jobs create better relationships between the workers and the company as there are clear rules that all understand and follow.  And, production management is usually more relaxed on Union projects as they have a very clear idea about what everything will cost which can make their decision making and planning easier.

In any case, once a deal is made, a deal is a deal... and we all need to do our best work to produce the best movie within the budget available ?