IT'S HERE, at last, the first teaser trailer for Todd Phillips' Joker, starring Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck, who becomes The Joker, yes, it is a DC film, a sort of Elseworlds tale, meaning it's separate, supposedly, from the continuity of the DCEU and is a what if kinda film, similar to The Killing Joke, those sorts of one off comics runs. $55 million budget, Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy, Shea Whigham, Marc Maron and more join Phoenix. Martin Scorsese was attached as exec producer at some point, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, one of his usual producers, is on board though. 

The film will be a character study, a tragedy of sorts. 

Gregory Irwin worked on the film and gave me some technical details on the film, I don't know if I can share yet but I can at least say (as the info is on the official Alexa 65 website) that the film was shot on the Alexa 65 by Lawrence Sher, a Todd Phillips regular who shot The Hangover Trilogy, War Dogs and recently, Godzilla: King Of Monsters, another Alexa 65 show, which looks gorgeous too. 

Anyway, the film looks really special and gorgeous. 

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/joker/

I'm not including the YT link, it's just too compressed, doesn't do it justice. 

Edited by Manu Delpech
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Manu Delpech said:

Youtube compression and quality is dreadful though. You're far better off watching the 1080p QT version on Apple Trailers

Yes, generally í agree. But the 4K version that was uploaded looked very good to me, and has a pretty high bitrate. 

Oddly, í found the apple qt version to be a little too dark.

But Stephanie Krall, the trailer's editor, just posted a glorious 3GB QT version for download on her vimeo page ~ 

https://vimeo.com/328265987

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Love it. This is “Taxi Driver” all of the way and not the typical comic book movie. The marketing will be critical for the box office success of this picture since it’s not a “Batman”. Beautifully lit, shot and directed. 

G

• Like 2

The abundant grain, especially on the Pro Res file, is brilliant. 

Taxi Driver, The King Of Comedy, some sweet references. I just love everything about the trailer, it's going to be a new obsession ? The way the camera moves, the feel, the mood, the look, Joaquin, it's a great cut too. The trailer has been seen 21 million times already on Youtube Greg, this plus the buzz on Twitter and Cinema Con, this is going to set the world on fire. 

Edited by Manu Delpech
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Manu Delpech said:

Second stunning trailer. I don't think the Alexa 65 has looked better yet than it does here.

http://www.hd-trailers.net/movie/joker/ (QT 1080p inside)

Sublime; that bokeh out the bus in the 2nd shot is delicious.

If you go for that kind of thing, í read that there are 70mm screenings being planned. And IMAX too.

í intend trying every possible flavour.

You can find a bunch of ProRes files right here ~ https://www.vidd.pro/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=137 

In terms of the Alexa65, í agree that this is as good as it's gotten.

Although Netflix just dropped a trailer for David Michôd's "The King", which Adam Arkapaw shot 2.39:1 on Alexa65 that has me pretty addicted. Even on an especially crappy YT data transfer rate.

It's the polar opposite of "JOKER". But just beautiful in a different way. 

Yeah, I have the Pro Res version, spectacular. I also saw the first trailer in laser IMAX, and it looked glorious. There's only the Alexa 65 that rivals 35mm and 65mm in terms of image quality. (although I think film is the best looking format in IMAX).

All the industry buzz in addition to all the festivals Joker is in are clear signs of the quality of the film. 

• Premium Member
On 8/30/2019 at 9:36 AM, Gregory Irwin said:

It’s debuting at the Venice Film Festival today! We have our fingers crossed but we also already know we have a special picture here with JOKER. 

G

Correction: JOKER debuts tonight at the Venice Film Festival. ??‍♂️

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

Correction: JOKER debuts tonight at the Venice Film Festival. ??‍♂️

Apparently, JOKER had an eight minute standing ovation at the conclusion of the picture!! I was told that is unprecedented at the Venice Film Festival. A great start!

G

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The reviews are truly excellent, the film is obviously raising controversy already for truly silly reasons having to do with the state of US society right now but I've seen mostly raves truly. And the cinematography is also being constantly singled out.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only 3 weeks to go.

Here is a YouTube amalgam of both trailers in, what í think to be, stunning 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06g6kHWNQoE

í am no pixel sniffer, but the level of detail and 'pop' on this footage is just glorious.

It does what the best 4K should do ~ immerse you further in to that world, as opposed to remove you from it with a hollow 'wow'.

Look at the details of Joaquin's worn and bobbled elasticated sleeves as he's clowning around with the kid on the bus, or just the breadth of the colour space in the night time kitchen shots and when he's dancing in the bathroom.

• Premium Member

Great movie very nicely shot by Lawrence Sher, ASC. A performance of a lifetime from Joaquin. He simply will win Oscar for it, there is no other option. Film is uncomfortable, very angst-ridden and full of impending doom and dread. Not necessarily a pleasant watch, but engaging and very well made. It's a character piece rather than an action movie.

I have to be honest, I am a little worried in these strange times what it might motivate in the disenfranchised young (mostly) males. There was a Q&A after film with director Todd Phillips and a woman raised this very question. He kind of did what all us filmmakers do, and that is to say it's not up to us to filter, shy away from violence or not show mental illness, we can only ask questions, yada yadda etc. And normally I would agree with him, but like I said, I can't but help share that woman's fears, slightly. Seen by someone removed from good human interactions, perhaps with some confidence issues or mental problems, it could inspire the wrong thing. It is a powerful film that doesn't necessarily condemn it. First time I've ever felt that we as filmmakers actually do have a responsibility. Or maybe I'm just getting older.

Nevertheless, a very powerful movie. It feels a little bit like it will create debate like Fight Club did 20 years ago.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Adam Frisch FSF said:

Great movie very nicely shot by Lawrence Sher, ASC. A performance of a lifetime from Joaquin. He simply will win Oscar for it, there is no other option. Film is uncomfortable, very angst-ridden and full of impending doom and dread. Not necessarily a pleasant watch, but engaging and very well made. It's a character piece rather than an action movie.

I have to be honest, I am a little worried in these strange times what it might motivate in the disenfranchised young (mostly) males. There was a Q&A after film with director Todd Phillips and a woman raised this very question. He kind of did what all us filmmakers do, and that is to say it's not up to us to filter, shy away from violence or not show mental illness, we can only ask questions, yada yadda etc. And normally I would agree with him, but like I said, I can't but help share that woman's fears, slightly. Seen by someone removed from good human interactions, perhaps with some confidence issues or mental problems, it could inspire the wrong thing. It is a powerful film that doesn't necessarily condemn it. First time I've ever felt that we as filmmakers actually do have a responsibility. Or maybe I'm just getting older.

Nevertheless, a very powerful movie. It feels a little bit like it will create debate like Fight Club did 20 years ago.

The debate has already started and is tiring imo. Phillips said that obviously, it all depends on the lens you see it through. Fact is, there are many films with similar violent subjects and they've never been subject to the scrutiny Joker is under. Imagine if Taxi Driver (which along with King Of Comedy are big influences on this, Emma Tillinger Koskoff (Scorsese's producer) is producing this and Scorsese was once thinking of producing this) was released today.

Outrage would be rampant. If it's uncomfortable, it should be. The crazies out there don't need one film to make them crazier or to somehow spur them into action. Anything could do that, it's not a reason for anyone to stop making art UNLESS you are deliberately endorsing the character's actions. And from what I've seen, Phillips never does that. 

How people take the film is their own problem. It's funny to see this film being cherrypicked when other super violent films get a pass. I guess it's just today's climate in the US (some have said that overseas critics don't have that politically correct issue with the film that US critics do) that makes some see it that way. 

• Premium Member

Greg - saw it at the BAFTA screening.

Manu - you'll just have to see if it feels that way like it did for me. Yes, John Wick 3 kills a lot more people, Expendables etc, it's not about the actual body count or violence per se, just the intersection between the emotional impact, in conjunction with the times, and this being a character that attracts a lot of followers that are already turned away socially. In many ways it is like Taxi Driver, but there weren't any 'incels' back then that went home and stocked up on assault rifles.

• Premium Member
On 9/20/2019 at 1:18 PM, Adam Frisch FSF said:

Greg - saw it at the BAFTA screening.

Nice! I like your style!  I couldn’t be in New York for the cast and crew screening so I probably won’t see it until I take my entire family to See it at a retail theater here in Atlanta. 

G