Arri 16 SrII - A problem in mounting lens

Davide Sette

Hi, I'm Davide. A young film-maker from Italy. Great to be on this very useful forum. 

I've recently bought an Arri 16 srII and an Optar Illumina Lens for it, but I can't mount the lens on the camera. The mount (b-mount) should be ok, but the lens doesn't fit properly and doesn't rotate. 

Any suggestions?

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0492 2.jpg

2 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Try holding down the unlock latches as you twist the lens. 

Thank you for your answer. I've tried holding down the unlock latches but nothing happens. Do yo think it is the right mount for the camera?

32 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Yes, everything looks great! Lenses are the right lenses, mount looks fine. I sadly haven't used Arri B mount cameras in nearly 20 years! But I do remember it only going in one way. 

It should fit in smoothly, right? It seems to me that the only way to insert it is to press hard. So I assume there's something wrong.

• Premium Member

Do other Bayonet mount lenses fit OK?

Try and check that the lens is not hitting any internal baffles or other things inside the camera mount. The camera doesn't look like it has the old auto-aperture mechanism, but check there is nothing like that preventing the lens from being fitted. (See old manuals like this: http://www.duallcamera.com/Arri 16SR.pdf where they describe fitting steel Bayonet lenses.)

As Jean-Louis mentioned, check for any signs of impact or deformation.

The lens should clear the mirror, but check that when it is pushed in as far as it will go you can still inch the camera (turning the mirror) without any resistance.

If nothing helps you may need to send it to a technician for a proper inspection.

• 2 months later...