Magnasync recorders

Andy Hager

Hello,

Been away from film for a while, and now with Kodak announcing the production of Ektachrome 100D again, I'm excited to get back to shooting on film again.  I'm looking at my old Magnasync 602E recorder, looks to be type 5 from what I've seen on the web, and I don't have a manual for it.  I don't have the amplifier that would have came with it originally either.  So I'm hoping someone knew what the electrical specs were with the record and playback heads to be able to determine which amp would be a good fit for using them.  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy     

tape heads2.jpg

• Premium Member

So you just have the mechanics right? You should be able to find the preamp section on ebay, I've seen them many times on there. 

On a side note, why did Ektachrome catch your fancy? You can strike prints from color negative no problem and they are far more suited for projection playback due to them being made out of a stronger backing and having the right lubrication for long term projection. Ektachrome is positive yes, but it's still a camera film. Plus with camera negative, you can very easily add optical soundtrack. 

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the quick response.  Yes, I have just the mechanics, but was looking more for technical information about the recorder and amplifier combo.  A schematic diagram or a owners manual would be more what I was searching for.  

As far as my excitement about Ektachrome, there is no technical reason at all.  The new re-release of Ektachrome is more just like the original version before.  Just the fact that Kodak is even offering a color reversal film product again, that's it.  My preferred color reversal was always Kodachrome but alas, that will never come back.  I liked Ektachrome for 35mm still frame pictures with my Stereo Realist camera, then projecting the 3D images.  I really believed that film was always better for 3D.  Although now with 4k, digital 3D isn't bad at all.

For motion pictures, it makes sense to offer Ektachrome in Super 8.  But yes, for 16mm shooting I almost always used negatives, either black and white or color because of the better overall image quality.  It's also true for shooting in Super 8 as well. 

That is correct about print films being more durable for projection!