How to best work with small and confined locations

Guest Khue Sibanda

Guest Khue Sibanda

I’m a self taught aspiring Cinematogrpher based in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe and have been at it for the past three years. I have been recently afforded an opportunity to work as a DP in a low budget Romantic Comedy production and its my first time being recognized and picked out from the a pool of well known “DPs” in my region. I’m seeking advice on how to best work with small and confined locations in terms of lighting and lense choice. I’m not sure of how much I need to bend down to this limitation without taking too much away from the best picture we can produce if we get good advice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Speaking to lighting, bounces can save space. Put a foamcore against the wall mounted with c stand or even taped, and shoot a beam into it from overhead or opposite side of talent (really anywhere you can put it).

You could do a wall spreader to hang the light or softbox out of camera view.

If budget permits, litemats are versatile and I've seen them taped to the ceiling with teasers to create a soft directional toppy source.

As for lenses. That seems more informed by personal taste and if you can get what you want out of the location. So a scout with a zoom might be neccesary to see what lengths will or won't work.

Edited by Stephen Sanchez
Typos n such