airport X-ray ):

Brought in two rols of unexposed 500t/7219 from LA and it was X-ray scanned in the airport ?

Is there any chance that the material is still good? Did anybody have this happen to him and and could share from his/ her experience of what came out of the stock? 

Thanks

Big difference between low-dose hand luggage and checked luggage.

Depends on how 'visible' the contents were in the scanner. If you hide the films in a lead bag, the operator will turn up the dose.

I always recommend to ship by Fedex or similar. We recently did a test with the help of Fedex and after eight passes, the increase in D-Min was less than 0.02 (densitometer tolerance). It all depends on the settings of the x-ray machine.

• Like 1

• Site Sponsor

I flew to the UK and back last year with a bunch of 8mm and 16mm film both 250d and 500t and it came out fine by the time I got back to Cinelab, no X-Ray issues.

I really think the newer machines don't cause fogging problems with film.

Hi Dirk 

Thanks for your quick and informative reply! 

when you say there was an increase in the Dmin that is like fogging if i understand correctly? just need to overexpose a bit to overcome it and i lose a bit of latitude, right?

and an increase of 0.02 is about how much in stops? 

BTW I did one of my first short films on 16mm with your lab... In praise of the day, produced by Philippe lacote if you remember ?

The problem with x-ray exposure is that it is directional. It will appear as uneven density changes mostly blue/cyan in the shadows. I have received a box of 40 100ft spools. Only the spools on the outside had a visible exposure, the x-ray had exposed the box from the short side and not penetrated more than one row.

Anyway, exposure is cumulative and each pass adds something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

ha was just about to post on this issue.......latest info I have is that always take as hand luggage not in the 'luggage hold' and should be fine.....also that the effect is cumulative....if you travel and have 15 x-ray scans then its more likely to be an issue...was also reading about the new type of 'scanners' that are being introduced in the USA for example.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/tsa-tests-scanners-that-allow-travelers-to-keep-electronics-and-liquids-in-their-bags-when-going-through-airport-security/2018/08/12/06f5d3fa-9cb8-11e8-843b-36e177f3081c_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ade9bc3b42d3

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

Cinelab London have literally just called me and confirmed the film has processed well and there is no sign at all of x ray damage......I sent over Vision3 50D, 250D and Kodak Eastman Double X 16mm film and the film went through two airport hand luggage scans......Gibraltar airport and malaga airport plus anything DHL might or may not have done with the package. The film was picked up from a hotel and London and delivered to them.