What are some of the rules regarding used/expired warranty and servicing?

Mario A. Peraza

Specifically for the Arri Alexa EV. Does anyone know their rules regarding warranty with this camera? I can't click on a specific link to Arri's website and redirect me to their homepage. Also will they be able to provide some sort of part replacement if possible? There are many classic Alexa's on sale right now. I know they're a workhouse of a camera, but you can't really make an all-round choice without knowing there is/will be some sort of issue.

• Premium Member

This is the big conundrum with buying and owning very expensive equipment, even if it's used. 

Arri's warranty is very limited, so no there is no warranty on a several year old camera. 

Arri will gladly fix any problems, but the cost for parts and labor is pretty high. The cameras are pretty robust though.  More than the Red's, which seem to be failing left and right. The biggest problem with all these cameras is mapping out dead pixels on the imager. Eventually the dead pixel mapper will not be able to map out the bad pixels and then you've got a worthless camera on your hands. Since these cameras are getting old for the first time, so we don't know exactly when they go bad, like we do with the Canon cameras.